FanStory.com - Death Slips Inby country ranch writer
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
As Cowboy Lies Dying
Death Slips In by country ranch writer
Final Words writing prompt entry

Today was not a good day for the Texan Billy Ray as he lay dying in the arena. He was crushed and bleeding inside from where the Brama bull had landed in the middle of him. He looked like a torn up rag doll lying there in the dirt. He lay there thinking to himself, well God if I must go this is the place for you to take me home. Heaven must need more rodeo cowboys.
Everyone was stunned. This couldn't be happening. Everyone was in a state of shock to see this happen to one of their own. This was supposed to be the Christmas in July Rodeo to help cowboys pick up extra points for the upcoming finals. Cowboys looked forward to making up the points they all needed. They were a lot of meet and greets along the way picking up new sponsors and putting on benefits. They were singing cowboys in the line up and sometimes Billy Ray would sing a tune or two. "He could have been a country singer with that voice of his," Bill Ray's mom always said.

Hell, they watched him grow up from a skinny teen into a handsome 6ft7 hunk of muscles,black wavy hair,and green eyes. He had that cowboy walk and talk, all the girls loved him.
When he was between rodeos you'd find him out on his ranch donating his time in showing kids what it took to become a bull rider. He would never charge for lessons, he wanted people to know he wanted kids to learn the right way to ride.

This was no way for the number one champion bull rider to end his career. He worked so hard all his life to be a Champion bull rider. He'd rode bulls since he was just a kid old enough to climb up on one. His dad said, "he was around ten when he won his first buckle."

His career took off from there all through school and making into the PBR. He had such a great time of his life and enjoyed every minute of it. Nothing could slow him down. Till now.
Even his favorite vest couldn't help him this time around. The bull was just too darn big for the vest to protect him this time.

This was supposed to be a happy day for Billy Ray it was his 21st birthday. He was riding in the rodeo in his hometown of Pine Valley,Texas. Life was good and if he won today he was thinking about settling down here. He loved Pine Valley it was a dream come true. He had so much life in him he wanted to share his good fortune with his hometown.

As Dr. Bob Liken ran out to Billy Ray with his medical crew, he could see Billy Ray was in a very bad state. His friend of many Billy Ray lay dying and there was nothing he could do for him. He dropped to his knees and held him in his arms crying feeling so helpless. As Billy Ray took his last few breaths he managed to whisper, " It just wasn't meant to be my day.


Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death, to whom you charcacter is speaking, who the character is, etc. are all optional.

Author Notes
Rodeo is a very unforgiving sport as all the cowboys attest to.

     

© Copyright 2024. country ranch writer All rights reserved.
country ranch writer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement