FanStory.com - Chapter Veintiocho, (28) Part Dosby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dr. Hatcher makes her decision.
Texas Dream Catcher
: Chapter Veintiocho, (28) Part Dos by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I haven't seen her injuries yet, so I can't say for sure. But I'm thinking of Lavender oil for pain and elimination of infection. After the pain has eased, I'll probably use Aloe Vera. I'm sure some Yarrow tea will aid her in a restful sleep, and I might pulverize the plant and mix it with water and apply it to the affected areas. Does that sound reasonable to you?" Kuruk waited for a response, but didn't get one, so continued, "I might also use Plantain juice. It's anti-bacterial and contains allantoin."

"What's that?" asked Jim.

"An anti-inflammatory phytochemical that speeds wound healing and stimulates new skin cells to grow," responded Soni as she faced the doctor. "Now that you know Grandfather knows what he's doing, will you allow him to help Tatiana?"

TODAY'S POST:

Dr. Hatcher took a deep breath. "I'll allow the Yarrow tea." She walked over to Tatiana. "After I re-examine the burns, I'll decide on the rest. Please excuse me." She motioned for them to leave the room.

While in the waiting room, Jim and Alex went for drinks.

Soni sat beside her grandfather and took his hand. "Tatiana's going to be all right, isn't she?"

"I haven't seen her wounds. Her spirits are high, so I'm guessing she'll be fine." He patted her hand.

"Alex told me how Gunter died. Do you believe it was Juan Paco Martinez-Vega who killed him? And do you think Gunter got the 125,000 acres by cheating at poker?"

"I wasn't there, so I have no answer to either question. I only know the family lore that has been passed down through the years."

"I didn't see the deed for that land with the others."

"It seems it was separate. I think I remember something about an envelope. See, Martinez-Vega tried to get the Mexican government to step in and force Gunter to return the land. By then, Texas was its own country. Mexico had no authority. The land legally belonged to Gunter."

"What about when Gunter died?"

"Dieter was the only living heir, so everything went to him. Martinez-Vega challenged it in court but lost. There are papers in the den about that."

"Is it possible that a member of his family is still trying to get the land back?"

"My child, anything's possible." Kuruk stood as Jim and Alex walked toward them.

*****
As they finished their drinks, Dr. Hatcher came to the waiting room. Soni stood and hurried to her. "Can Tatiana receive Grandfather's medicine?"

"Her burns aren't good, but she's in no danger right now. I'll continue to give her IV antibiotics and keep her body hydrated. You can treat the wounds, but the moment I see signs of an infection, you're out. Do you understand?" The doctor's eyes met Kuruk's.

Kuruk took her hand. "Thank you for your understanding. I promise there WILL be no infection." He headed for Tatiana's room.

Soni smiled. "Thank you."

Alex took the doctor's hand. "I really appreciate this, more than words can say."

"I knew a compromise could be worked out. Thank you." Jim followed the others into the room.

Kuruk opened his bag and took out the necessary supplies. When he finished, he said, "Tatiana, I need to examine your back."

She nodded but said, "Soni, you need to get Isabella and the infant supplies. He has no diapers, clothes, and poor Isabella needs things too. I hate to think what that child is using for diapers. Find some paper, and I'll dictate a list. While Kuruk administers to me, you can go shopping."

After the list was made, Soni and Jim left the room. On the way to the parking lot, Jim said, "I'll drive. You look worn out."

"I guess that's okay. I am tired. I didn't sleep too well on the couch. I'm guessing I didn't get to sleep until almost five. Morning comes early in a hospital."

"I'm hungry. Could you use a cheeseburger? I know a great place. It's not too far from here."

"I forgot you live here. Do you need to stop and get anything?"

"I'm not huge on shopping." Jim didn't answer her question.

"Neither am I, but Tatiana isn't in any shape to do it. She's right. Isabella and Emanuel do need some things. We have nothing at the ranch to care for a human baby," said Soni. "I'm glad Jackson's watching over them."

Jim chuckled. "He told me Butkus has decided protecting Emanuel is his job. I'd hate to be the person trying to harm that child. I've seen that dog in action."

"You're right. Butkus can be dangerous but normally he's as gentle as a kitten. Dad relied on him a lot."

"Just like you rely on Goliath and Mack?" Jim's eyes met hers.

"It's good to have an extra set or two of eyes around. One can't be too careful." She smiled. "I'd trust my life on those two or three, if you count Butkus."

Jim parked in front of a small diner. "It doesn't look too good from the outside, but it's clean and the food's great." He opened the door for Soni. After she entered, he watched outside for a few moments.

"Is something wrong?"

"I'm sure it's nothing, probably my over-reactive imagination." He motioned to a table. "Let's sit here.

"Like my feelings on the way home this last time?" Soni's cheeks blushed pink.

"Maybe something like that." Jim sent a text.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for a image of a Shaman's medicine bag. I think since Kuruk is Apache for bear, Kuruk's bag would look like this. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. I have to post short because of working full time. I hate that. As I was posting some areas needed work so I changed things. I hope I didn't make it worse. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it. Eight days of school left. I know you know who's counting. My first graders are counting too.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement