FanStory.com - Three Old Friends. Part Oneby Ulla
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Everything Is Not What It Seems To Be
Friends
: Three Old Friends. Part One by Ulla

The invitation had arrived three days earlier, and the silver envelope which stuck out from the rest of the pile enticed her to open it first. The writing that spelled out her name and address was written in a neat hand. She didn't quite recognise it. Something about the letters, however, was vaguely familiar. The puzzlement and curiosity had taken over, which made her open it at once.

What she'd read didn't make a lot of sense in view of all that had happened so many years ago. She needed time to mull this over. It'd been lying there for a few days now, but today, Susan picked up the silver envelope yet again, and taking out the card she read it once more.

Dear Susan,

It will be my pleasure to meet you at 'The Three Pavilions' on 21 West High Street, for lunch on Saturday 23rd of May at twelve thirty. I am looking forward to seeing you.

Audrey.

Susan turned the card over, but there was no more. The envelope didn't reveal anything either.

Audrey! What on earth did she want after all these years?

Saturday was tomorrow. She sighed, and reckoned that it couldn't do any harm to show up.

<><><><><>


Three miles away, Marjory almost mimicked Susan. She stood by her lovely bay window reading the silver lined card in her hand, and like Susan she turned it over, but there was nothing more. No return address, and no indication as to where it'd been sent from. The post stamp was no help in so far it was unintelligible. Yet again, she turned it around and pondered what to do.

Marjory gazed at the fields in the distance that so reminded her of her youth and the fond memories she had of her years of growing up.

Audrey and she had been great pals, and she chuckled when she thought about the youthful adventures they'd shared. She remembered Susan who had been part of 'The Three Witches' as they had joyfully called themselves. So much fun they'd had, but who would've believed that, if not exactly hating each other, they had ended up disliking each other so much that it bordered on hate.

She sighed and looked down at the card in her hand. Her first inclination had been to throw it out, not wanting to see Audrey ever again, but she'd thought better of it.

Curiosity was taking over. She'd decided that she'd go and learn what this was all about. She'd no doubt that there was an ulterior motive. She didn't have to stay long and could leave any time she liked. That decided, Marjory put the card to one side and went to her bedroom. Time to find the right outfit to wear.

<><><><><>


Audrey gazed at herself in the full-size mirror and chuckled. She looked great. At forty-five she was still a beautiful woman. Her lush auburn hair fell in soft waves around her face reaching just above the shoulders. She'd always been slim and her well-proportioned figure hadn't let her down, but then again, she'd also taken good care of it. Never a day passed by without some sort of activity, and she made sure to exercise on a regular basis.

The idea of the invitations had been conceived on a spur of the moment, but once the thought took hold she hadn't been able to contain it. Well, they were now sent, and there would be no knowing whether Marjory or Susan would show up, as she hadn't left any return address. She'd made sure to post the invitation far from where she lived, so in the event that the post stamp could actually be read, it wouldn't disclose her true whereabouts.

She'd been mindful to choose her outfit with much care. She envisioned two frumpy women in some flowery outfit and laughed softly to herself. She could just visualize it.


<><><><><>


The next day, Audrey arrived early at the restaurant to make sure that everything was as she'd requested. The head waiter met her as she entered and ushered her into the dining area.

"We've set the table in the corner, Madam, looking over the estuary from all three bay windows; just as you requested."

Audrey nodded in acknowledgement.

"That's great, James. I have to say the table looks gorgeous. You've done very well. I know that I'm early, but I think I'll sit down. A glass of dry white wine while I'm waiting would be great. Please bring the cooler with the Chablis at the same time so it's ready for the arrival of my guests."

"Right away, Madam." James retreated towards the kitchen. A few minutes later, he was back placing the glass of wine in front of Audrey, and then left the cooler containing the Chablis in the middle of the table.

Audrey lifted her glass saluting the table. The scene was set.


To be continued.






Recognized

Author Notes
Thanks to RandallsArt for the use of the artwork.
A big thank you goes to Infinityyingyang for donating a certificate, so it could be promoted another few days.

     

© Copyright 2024. Ulla All rights reserved.
Ulla has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement