FanStory.com - Recognitionby GWHARGIS
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Daughter's poem
Recognition by GWHARGIS

My middle daughter, Keirry, is a poet. A very good closet poet. I read her work and am amazed at the emotion she manages to make me feel. We all know that one poet who seems to get us. Bring out feelings that we didn't even know we could feel. She is that one for me. My fifteen year old daughter is the writer I hope to be when I grow up.

Now, she isn't a prolific writer. Sometimes she'll go months without writing anything. But when she does show me a poem, it is always worth the wait.

Her one drawback is lack of confidence. It seems to be a reoccurring theme in her life. She is less than confident about her looks, her artistic talents. You name it, she thinks she doesn't quite measure up.

A few months ago the Dare County Women's Club sponsored a poetry contest. I told her to enter it. After much debate and self doubt she turned in a poem. The contest was open to all Dare County high school students.

Several weeks passed and she came home one day and casually told her dad and I that she had won. I'm sure you can picture the excitement in your mind so I won't bore you with the details. She informed us that her poem had moved on to a North Carolina state competition.

Fast forward to last Monday. She group texts her dad and me telling us she just found out she won the state competition. Happy and excited, to say the least, she is now in the running for a national competition.

I am so proud of her, and like any parent, it is my hope that this recognition will help her realize how smart and talented she is.

But remember she is only fifteen so don't be surprised when I tell you her response to my question.

"Keirry, aren't you excited about winning?!"

She looks at me and with a huge smile says this, "Heck yes. I think I win 75 dollars. "

The eyes of youth see a whole different rainbow.

Recognized

Author Notes
True story. Will keep you posted on her results. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement