FanStory.com - Angels500: Art with a Purposeby GWHARGIS
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A recent cause.
Angels500: Art with a Purpose by GWHARGIS

Some of you may already know this about me so indulge me while I brag a bit. I am an artist. I do pet portraits, people portraits and landscapes. While I'm not famous, I do have a small following and I co-teach people with an interest in learning how to paint. That being said, I have always been of the philosophy that art should be for everyone. It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to own beautiful art. And I believe that everyone has some artistic talent inside of them.

Recently, a friend showed me a picture of her sick daughter hugging a canvas with a unicorn painted on it. She said someone from the group Angels500 had sent it to her daughter. She didn't know the artist but the note attached to the painting said this: HERE IS A UNICORN ANGEL TO BE WITH YOU AS YOU WORK TO GET BETTER. SHE IS A SPECIAL UNICORN BECAUSE SHE IS AN ANGEL. SHE IS YOUR SPECIAL ANGEL.

Needless to say, I thought this was awesome. I asked her how to get involved with this splendid organization. She forwarded the contact information and I got busy buying several 8 inch by 10 inch canvases. When I sat down to start painting, I froze. What kinds of angels should I paint? What color hair? I was at a loss.

After two weeks with those untouched canvases crowding my table, it finally came to me. Paint an angel that is a part of me. So I did just that. One is an angel who is calmly floating amidst a chaotic sky full of stars. The other is the silhouette of a basketball player. His large wings are painted like the netting on a basketball goal.

No, they aren't classic angels, nor would I say fine art. But they are a part of me. They are the part of me that brings with it a prayer for the sick, hope for the hopeless, and comfort for those in need of it.

Recognized

Author Notes
Check out the Facebook page for Angels500. It is an awesome organization that brings artwork to those who are sick or have suffered a trauma in their lives. Thank you for reading. Feedback welcome.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement