FanStory.com - Chapter Veinticinco, (25) Part Unoby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jimand Soni prepare for an ambush.
Texas Dream Catcher
: Chapter Veinticinco, (25) Part Uno by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

He mounted Paco. "You know it could be an ambush."

Soni's shoulders slumped for a few moments, before she brushed loose hair from her face and readjusted her hat. "Nine to one, I like those odds."

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
Part 1

As Soni climbed off her horse, Jim stepped off his. "If the dogs were armed, it would be nine to four. Of course, that includes me, but I'm sure a Texas female ranch owner can handle nine to one odds by herself. You know we just got on these horses, don't you? Why are we getting off?"

"Has anybody ever told you that you're a pain in the butt?" Soni petted Goliath and then Mack.

"Yes, but not as often as you have." Jim grinned.

"I wanted to see what weapons we have, just in case. I don't want any surprises." Soni took two bottles of water from her saddlebag and threw Jim one. "Did you think to pack water?"

"Sure did." Jim removed a sniper rifle, before a water bottle.

"You planned on some serious action, didn't you? All I have is this." Soni unwrapped a sawn-off shotgun.

"Is that a fourteen inch barrel?" Jim walked over and touched it. "Where'd you get it?"

"Dad got it in Germany. It came out in 1998." Soni pulled it closer to her body. "Are you going to arrest me?"

"Nope. I just hope you can handle it. I'm wondering about the kick."

"I can handle it just as well as my old standbys." Soni pointed to her bow 'n' arrow, the knife hidden in her boot, and her favorite rifle." She paused. "What else are you carrying?"

"I think we can hold them off for a while." Jim indicated his Glock 40 cal, bowie knife, and Squad Automatic Weapon. "Ready to do it?" After Soni nodded, he started to mount Paco, but stopped. "How are you arming the dogs?"

Soni sat on Smoky. "I may have to show you how well they're armed." She gave a hand signal, and both dogs bared their teeth at Jim. "Get on your horse."

Each dog's tail wagged.

"I doubt they'll be taken seriously with their hind-ends wiggling." He rubbed his stomach. "Is there any chance we can eat? I'd hate to die hungry."

"We're not going to die, so you have nothing to worry about." Soni rode on ahead.

As Jim rode passed her, he yelled, "We quell the storm and ride the thunder!"

Soni tossed him some beef jerky. "Chew on this. Your hunger's affecting your brain. You ex-Marine types never forget, do you? We need to be quiet so they don't hear us. Remember the bad guys?"

After a few minutes of silence, Soni asked, "Why'd you come after me?"

"I found the papers thrown on the floor and knew you'd be upset. I wanted a chance to explain."

Soni nodded but didn't comment.

*****

A few hours later, Soni, Jim, and the dogs stopped behind some large boulders and watched a small cabin.

Soni took a deep breath and slowly released it. "How many do you think are in there?"

"It's hard to tell from this distance. My best guess is the nine we followed, for sure." Jim adjusted his hat. "It looks like three guarding the place. I'm wondering what's so important about that cabin."

"Could they be holding drugs for distribution?"

"I wouldn't think so. They'd probably immediately deliver them." Jim pointed to a thin man walking the perimeter. "They're guarding something or somebody."

"Any ideas how we can get closer?"

"Too bad everybody in Texas knows those two belong to you." Jim pointed to Goliath and Mack.

Soni moved forward. "I'm getting a closer look."

"Wait! New guys came out of the cabin. That's a total of sixteen. Those aren't good odds. We need back-up." Jim watched Soni continue to move closer. "Or not." He looked up at the sky. "Kuruk, did you just see what your granddaughter did? If I can't save her, you'd better."




Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for of an image of a log cabin. Thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it. The Spanish is loosely translated in Soni's dialogue.

A few reviewers thought I needed more descriptions of the weapons. I was afraid the story would get bogged down with it. Opinions?

Again, I changed the ending to my previous post's ending many times. Please let me know if it works better. I wasn't really happy with the wording.

Many of my fans are calling this a western. I don't put myself in the class of some very wonderful Western author's on this site. This is just a romance novel with the setting in Texas.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement