FanStory.com - Carmenby prettybluebirds
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
She was beautiful beyond words.
Carmen by prettybluebirds
    Beautiful Creatures Contest Winner 

I thought perhaps there was a beautiful animal under all that long hair and caked on manure. The horse's feet were cracked and broken too; heaven only knows when last a blacksmith had trimmed her feet. Her mane and tail were full of cockleburs and she was so thin I could see her hip bones and ribs sticking out. All I could tell about her was that she was a Leopard Appaloosa and she was as close to death as an animal could get and still be breathing.

I bought her at an auction sale. The mare's condition was so deplorable the auctioneer couldn't get any bids on her so I bid ten dollars. Just like that the horse was mine.

It took a long time to return the mare to her beautiful self; and she was beautiful. She was a Leopard Appaloosa with large black and brown spots over her whole body. I named her Carmen because she was beautiful like the leading character in the movie Carmen.

At first, Carmen didn't trust me or anyone else. No doubt it was because of the abuse she had been through. I was patient with her and gradually convinced her that she was now in a safe place.

Carmen and I became the best of friends and had a mutual love for one another. I used her for a parade and trail horse for many years. Carmen never failed me no matter what I asked of her.

I found Carmen dead in the pasture one morning. Her loving heart had finally given out. I'm so grateful I was able to give her a good ending to her life. Carmen was a beautiful and loving animal and deserved the best. I will never forget her.


Writing Prompt
Write a short essay about an animal - maximum 300 words. It can be a beloved pet or a wild animal you admire. The photo you include should be of the animal, or type of animal, you are describing.
Beautiful Creatures
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
I have rescued several horses over the years. It always made me feel good to see them come back to life and beauty after the horrible abuse they suffered. Carmen was special to me. I didn't always keep the rescue horses because there were simply too many. I would find them good homes. Carmen was an exception and she was with me until she died of old age.

     

© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement