FanStory.com - Goliathby mossmouse
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When a boy and a puppy meet....
Goliath by mossmouse

Today was a school holiday, something about an early Christmas extra day or something.

"No nap today," Mom said, "We're going to the mall."
The mall inside looks like the ant farm on my desk, lots of scurrying without apparent direction. I can't see very much, being only five and all. I just have to look around and between all the legs; where do all the grownups come from?

I'm sure I heard Mom say the haircut word, but maybe she will forget.

I asked her if I could walk a little ways down to the pet store and she said, "Okay," but then made a funny face at me. Like look, but do not touch. I wonder when I get to touch stuff?
Maybe when I start to school.

I rested my head against one of the giant Teddy Bears outside the entrance to the store, hugged my arms around his tummy and made a wish.

I wish a lot but I never tell Mom.

She works a lot.

I miss her a lot.

This bear is so soft.

I know it could never come to life, but it never hurts to wish.

My Mom says I ask too many questions, but she never tells the right number I can ask. I think it depends on how her day was mostly.

Maybe someday I can have someone just for me, not having to share. Just mine. I don't mind sharing, but it is nice to have something that is just yours. Of course, I do have that dried mouse skin, but every time I show it, especially to little girls, I always get into big time trouble.

Well, Goodbye Mr. Bear.

What is that? Back in the corner of the window?

It's a really big puppy!

I watched him as he walked up to me and looked me right in the eye.

As I pressed my nose to the window glass, he sat up and stared at me. Then he stood up and put his paws on the glass.

I said, "Hi." He barked softly and something happened inside my whole body. My eyes were locked on his.

Neither of us could move.

He was white, with one ear laid over, while the other was brown and stood straight up. He had big brown eyes and a fuzzy pink tummy. His paws were as big as my hands. Who made this puppy with so many colored parts?

I remembered a Bible story about a giant soldier who had four brothers, and his name was Goliath. I wonder if this puppy has four brothers.

Why is he staring at me?

I wonder.

I ran to find Mom.

She was still looking at baskets when I grabbed her hand and asked her to "Please, Please come with me."

She was so slow. I had to get behind her and push her down to the pet store. When she saw where I was taking her she said, "No," but I just kept pushing and asked her to just look.

My feet were dancing without music and my finger was pointing at this puppy.

She said, "No!" again. Mom told me all the reasons why we couldn't get him, and I told her all
the reasons we had to.

Mom is very practical about things. That is what she does best.

The puppy started wagging that tail, flopping those ears and then rolled over and sat up and looked right at Mom.

I watched Mom thinking.

I saw her peek in her purse.

I saw her smile.

We won! We won! Goliath, we won!

I told Mom, "His name would be Goliath." She asked me "How such a puppy could have such a big name?" I told her, "It was because of his heart. He has a very brave heart." He told me so. "He waited for me. How brave was that!"

She smiled and placed Goliath in my arms. I carried him through the whole mall. I would carry him every step of the way. He was my very own.

On the way home in the car, I told Mom that I would share Goliath with her.

She smiled, turned left one more time and took us home.

Author Notes
We all have seen this or maybe even done this...remember.

     

© Copyright 2024. mossmouse All rights reserved.
mossmouse has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement