FanStory.com - Willing to Pay the Priceby Spiritual Echo
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
seperate agendas
Willing to Pay the Price by Spiritual Echo
    Two women sit at a deserted bar Contest Winner 

"I liked being married. Well not everything, you know, but most of it. I liked having somebody around that I didn't have to pretend with...could just be myself."

"Maybe that's why you're not married anymore. Men don't want the real thing. They say they do, but what they really mean is a double D hotty that cooks like Martha Stewart and hangs on their every word."

Janet ordered more drinks, knowing her late-night companion was already a little drunk. "Seriously, Meg, do you really think your husband wanted you to be comfortable, hang around in sweats and order pizza when you were too tired to cook?"

"I think," Meg paused to wipe a stray tear from her cheek and take another sip from her drink. "Some people have false expectations about marriage. Sure, it's about love, but the kind that grows through shared experiences."

Except for the bartender, the two women were the only other people in the bar. Janet had never met Meg before, but her curiosity had gnawed at her until she placed the phone call. She was surprised that Meg accepted her invitation, and even more astonished that she found herself liking the mousy blonde.

Janet had dressed for the occasion, pawing through her closet until she found the right clothes, something that showed off her figure, but had a down-played casual elegance. She'd settled on skinny jeans, a black cashmere sweater and gold Figaro chain that fell mid-chest, emphasizing her ample breasts.
.
"I guess I live in some Harlequin romance, believing everything works out," Meg said, still weepy.

"It's not over," Janet said. "You might get a second chance, meet someone new."

"That's the problem. I don't want someone new. I still love Dan. I know it's foolish, and I shouldn't be telling you how I feel, but I don't think I'll ever get over him."

"Jesus; are you saying you'd take him back after he cheated on you?"

"The truth is," Meg said, "I do want him back, but even if he was willing to come home, I wouldn't let him. I couldn't. He betrayed me. Dan broke our marriage vows and he'll never be the same man I married."

Janet leaned across the table, pushing back Meg's hair so that she was forced to make eye contact.

"Maybe he's sorry. Wouldn't you forgive him?"  The answer to her question was the very reason that Janet made the phone call. 

"I forgave him a long time ago. It's not him I'm disappointed in, it's me. I thought I loved him enough...it wasn't enough for him."

Janet leaned back in her chair, silenced by the humility of the woman she'd thought would scratch her eyes out. She'd hoped that meeting the ex-wife would somehow unlock a secret. Dan's sometime faraway look, the zoned out indifference made her crazy. It was the identical look that was on Meg's face now as she stared into her drink. And in that moment, Janet realized that he still loved Meg.

"Why don't you hate me?" Janet asked. "Why did you agree to meet me?"

"I have no reason to hate you. Dan chose to have an affair. I'm sure you never gave me a second thought."

"Then why did you come?"

"Curiosity, I suppose and to thank you."

"For what?"

"I really should go..."

"No, tell me why you want to thank me? I stole your husband and you're being nice to me."

"You know, they say what goes around, comes around. I would never take Dan back. It's so much better this way. When he comes over he's more than happy to do the chores I once had to nag him for. The tricks you've taught him in bed are really the best part. For that, I owe you a big thank you."

"You're sleeping with Dan?"

"Yeah, I am definitely the other woman now."

Janet was torn between feeling sick to her stomach and disbelief. No, he couldn't be, not with this ordinary, mousy woman. So caught up in her whirling thoughts, she hardly noticed Meg had stood up and was about to leave.

"You know the real bonus, Janet? When I am reminded about the parts of marriage I don't like, I send him home--to you."

Janet sat stunned watching Meg leave just as the bartender brought the tab to the table. "What! I get to pay?" She yelled at Meg's retreating back.

"Yes," Meg said as she turned and smiled. "It's definitely your turn to pay."





































 


Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.
Two women sit at a deserted bar
Contest Winner

     

© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement