FanStory.com - Promise of a New Home...by GregoryCody
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Very short story
Promise of a New Home... by GregoryCody
    A Good Turn Gone Wrong Contest Winner 

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
The chain sits taut, rusted, cutting off the dog's strangled yelps. Lying dejected in the dust ... the gnawed corners of a faded plastic feeding bowl still gleam with dried saliva. The poor animal's ribs form small rises under a thin layer of skin, his mangy coat flecked with scars of old battles fought and lost. Years of abuse have beaten the old fellow into weary resignation and his sad eyes reflect evenings of abuse from an inebriated owner.


I decide to take action. Walking up with soft steps I approach the beaten dog. There is no clasp on the collar, but rather a large padlock. In his drunken stupor the man had forgotten to lock it. I undo the heavy lock and the chain drops with a thud.


"Come on boy. Go! Run! Find a new home!"


The dog stares at me with sunken eyes. A thunderous holler erupts from the small trailer.


"Take her from Me? From me?!...I'll fucking kill your precious Duke first..."


I reach for Duke's collar but he inches back. He lowers his head with an unexpectedly savage growl and lunges at me. As I stumble back I reach for his collar again. But he walks back to his chain and collapses. He takes one final breath. I stand next to him, tears welling up in my eyes, before I realize that he has found a new Home.













Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300
A Good Turn Gone Wrong
Contest Winner

Author Notes








I believe everything you form a bond with, everything in this world that touches your heart, goes to Heaven with us, for us. I Know, truly, that all of our pets who have graced our lives and who have departed, are in Heaven waiting for us...


















     

© Copyright 2024. GregoryCody All rights reserved.
GregoryCody has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement