FanStory.com - Chapter Quince; Part Dosby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni prepares to track the eight men.
Texas Dream Catcher
: Chapter Quince; Part Dos by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The agent listened, and then handed Garrison the phone. "You may have won this round, but I'll come out the victor." He stood in front of Kuruk and pointed his finger. "Don't leave the ranch. We'll be back. Your arrest is imminent." He turned his back, waved for the men to follow, and left.

"I don't think he's happy." Garrison's eyes watched him exit. "I think you'd better stay here." He glanced at Soni. "I'm sure there's a spare room"

"You're right. I have some tracking to do. I doubt it will lead very far off the ranch. I'll be reachable by cell phone." Soni held up her phone as she left the house. Jim followed.

TODAY'S POST:

Gus leaned against the stable door and laughed. "What are you, the Piped Piper of men?"

Soni turned and saw, Jim, Butkus, Goliath, and Mack. Diego limped behind. "I understand the dogs. Why are you in this line?" Her eyes met Jim's.

Jim hesitated before he said, "I thought maybe you could use a sharp shooter."

"I'm tracking, not shooting them." Soni continued inside the stable.

"If they don't want to be followed, there could be trouble."

"I guess you can tag along." Soni knelt and petted Mack's head. "Boy, you need to sit this one out. You're still recovering." Diego nuzzled his muzzle between the two. Soni took his head in both hands and faced him nose-to-nose as she took a short breath. "Buddy, before long you'll be up to the job, but you need to stay back and take care of Tatiana."

Diego's glance went to the door of the house. Midnight nuzzled him. Diego moaned softly and meandered toward the house.

Tatiana met him partway. "Soni, do you want me to fix something to eat?"

Soni straightened up. "I doubt this will take longer than a few hours. We should be back in time for a late dinner." She eyed Jim. "Maybe. He gets hungry and might starve before we return."

"It'll just take a few minutes to throw something together." Tatiana petted Diego. "Come on, boy. You can help." Off they went to the house.

Gus placed his hand on Midnight's back. "Are you taking him or sending him away until this blows over?"

After pausing to take inventory of a saddle bag, Soni said, "I'll ride him. When I return, I'll make the arrangements for stud service. I don't want him picked up. We'll deliver. That way I'll know he arrived safely." She walked over to Paco and then Smokey. "Jim, take Smokey this time. If trouble finds us, he'll remain calm."

A cough slipped from Gus's mouth. He studied his boots. "Ms. Soni, I don't mean any disrespect, but Midnight isn't the most predictable horse you own."

Jim turned his back.

"No sense trying to hide that smile. I can see it through the back of your head. Matter-of-fact, Midnight's a very calm horse." Soni's hands set firmly on her hips.

Butkus tilted his head and then lay down.

Turning around, Jim stared at the large brindle colored mastiff. "Butkus disagrees with you."

"Those two never have gotten along. Besides, you don't have any right questioning my decision." Soni watched the stable manager sneak away. "Gus, you can take it from here. I'm going inside and finish getting ready."

*****
The two men's gaze followed Soni until she was out of hearing range. Jim was the first to speak. "How big of a mistake is she making taking this stallion?" Jim patted Midnight's side.

"Maybe none. Soni trained him. She knows what he can and can't do." Gus chuckled. "As with any young stud, he'd do anything for a pretty face. Soni's a looker all right, and he knows it. That's why you're going, right?"

"What?" Jim's eyebrows rose.

"Why are you riding along?"

"If she needs help, somebody will be there to help."

"Sort of like, always swim with a buddy?" Gus grinned.

"Yeah, that's right. When you're tracking somebody, you should take a buddy. I'll be that person."

"It has nothing to do with you being sweet on Soni, does it?"

"No, of course not." Jim's voice cracked, and he avoided eye contact.

"My instincts are never wrong." Gus laughed as he proceeded to get the horses ready.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for the photo of a mother duck and the ducklings following. I was just having fun. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I HAVE EDITED THE ENDING OF THE PREVIOUS POST. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE IT CORRECT. THE WORDING WAS WRONG. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. I have already written 249 pages. Their descriptions were about 225 pages ago.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement