FanStory.com - Chapter Quince; Part Unoby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A few questions are answered.
Texas Dream Catcher
: Chapter Quince; Part Uno by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jim handed her the binoculars. "About a thousand yards that way looks like about eight men on horseback."

"It's awfully small, but I think you're right."

"Do you recognize them?"

"I don't think so. It's hard to tell for sure. That one horse looks like a pinto. I don't know anybody who rides one. Why are they there?"

"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's not good."

"I think I'll take a ride and ask?"

"Not now. We'll track them later."

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Alex stepped onto the front porch. "Soni, Mr. Garrison has a few questions."

"I'll be right in." Soni glanced at Jim. "Later I'll trail those men and see where they came from." She went into the house and sat beside Grandfather.

Jim followed but stopped and asked Alex, "How good a tracker is Soni?"

"She learned from the best." Alex pointed at Kuruk. "You forget she's half Lipan Apache."

"I didn't forget." Jim grinned. "She's a female. I don't think of them doing the things she does."

"She's not your usual female. She was raised by her dad. Tatiana tried to put her in lacy dresses." Alex chuckled. "She was downright cute in them too."

"I bet she was."

When Jim and Alex joined Kuruk, Gray, and Soni, she said, "Alex, please contact all the area managers and tell them to be on high alert. See if anybody's noticed strangers traveling through the property. A few minutes ago, Jim noticed eight men watching the house."

Alex nodded and went into the den.

"First, I have a few questions. When I spoke with Mr. Jamison, our family lawyer, he listed a few possibilities and I don't remember your name on that list. Who hired you?" Soni waited for an answer.

"A friend of the family heard about your case and knew it was my area of expertise. Call Mr. Jamison. I'm sure he will approve." Garrison handed Soni his business card.

Soni read and then said, "So you specialize in criminal law." She paused, "I'll call Jamison and ask." She removed her phone from her back jeans pocket and held it. "What's your first question?"

"It seems you're at the center of this problem." Gray's eyes met Soni's. "Any idea why?"

"No. It seems somebody's out to cause trouble. Mr. Hughes was contacted with false information. I don't know why."

"Could it be disgruntled employees?"

"Alex might be able to answer that better. I don't think so. I haven't changed anything since Father died. The ranch runs the same. Alex is still the foreman."

"Some men don't like taking orders from a female." Gray tapped his notebook with his pen.

"Alex gives most of the orders. It's always been that way."

"But now he takes orders from you. How well do you know him?"

"Alex was with Dad since before I was born. He and his wife helped raise me. He's like a father. We're more co-bosses than anything."

Gray nodded. "That makes sense." He paused. "How about neighbors? Anybody upset to have a female ranch owner? This place is huge."

"I doubt any of our friends object. They all knew I was the only heir and worked with me. I worked right alongside Dad." Soni took a moment to think. "There are a few new ranch owners around the area. I've met them at Cattlemen's Association meetings, but really don't know them."

"Isn't that where you met Miguel Sanchez?" asked Kuruk.

"It is. Why?"

"When I think of him, I sense evil." Kuruk shook his head. "He's not good."

Mr. Garrison wrote on his pad. "That might be a place to start. Does he know about your throwing knives?"

"Everybody does. Grandfather has won many competitions and has been written up in newspapers, magazines, and on TV."

The lead homeland security agent walked over. "I need some answers. This powwow has gone on too long. I have a warrant and plan on executing it."

Gray removed his cell phone and placed a call. After talking for a few minutes, he handed the phone to the agent. "It's Judge Henry Gilmore, a Federal Judge. It appears your warrant's no good. You may speak with him."

The agent listened, and then handed Garrison the phone. "You may have won this round, but I'll come out the victor." He stood in front of Kuruk. "Don't leave the ranch. We'll be back. Your arrest is imminent." He turned his back, waved for the men to follow, and left.

"I don't think he's happy." Garrison's eyes watched him exit. "I think you'd better stay here." He glanced at Soni. "Do you have a spare room?"

"Sure do. I have some tracking to do. I doubt it will lead very from the ranch. I'll be reachable by cell phone." Soni held up her phone as she left the house. Jim followed.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for cowboys off in a distance. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. I have already written 249 pages. Their descriptions were about 225 pages ago.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement