FanStory.com - What if? by RPSaxena
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The road of life's journey is full of crossings-What If?
What if? by RPSaxena
What If? contest entry

The whole life is a long journey and the road of this journey is full of crossings, intersections and unexpected turns. Crossroads are the common feature. They represent ‘What if?’ Each of them is a crucial turn where the decision plays a great role. A right decision can make the whole life while the wrong one can do a great, and sometimes, irreparable harm. 

Past is past and what has been done, that can’t be undone.  But a lesson can be learnt from it to shape properly one’s present and future. Akhtar is trying to do so. He has just escaped from the living hell which he underwent on a secluded island in the Indian Ocean for about four months.

Akhtar is a 17-year- old smart boy. He is six feet tall and well-built with broad chest and strong shoulders, having the strength of a lion and swiftness of a tiger.

He belongs to Jammu - Kashmir in India which was, up to a few years ago, very famous for its beauty. It was called the ‘Switzerland of India’ & ‘Paradise on Earth’. He cherishes most the days which he used to enjoy as a kid on his father’s beautiful ‘Shikara’ – houseboat. His father was a well-known houseboat-man around the Dal Lake in Kashmir Valley. Tourists, especially the foreigners, preferred his houseboat due to its splendor, comforts and his hospitality.  But now all has been ruined because of the poisonous atmosphere caused by the cruel terrorists.

His family has been residing at a hamlet, hardly 15 Kilometer from Pakistan border, for the last 10 years. The family consists of his father, mother, four younger sisters and one three-year-old brother. His Parents work on a farm as laborers. 
Akhtar studied and, side by side, earned some money by doing all kinds of menial jobs. He was an all-rounder: A brilliant student, a promising sportsman and the best N.C.C. cadet of the state. He, besides many prizes, had got a Gold Medal in 100 Meter Rifle-Shooting competition at the state level. He wanted to join Indian Army to oust the cruel terrorists, the enemies of peace and social harmony, at least from Jammu and Kashmir in India. It had been his one and only dream since his family was uprooted from Kashmir Valley. But it’s said and rightly said: “Man proposes and God disposes.” Unfortunately, he fell into the well-laid trap of these sly anti-social elements and had to face what he had not imagined even in his dreams.

One evening while he, engrossed in his thoughts, was returning from his work-place, he heard a voice from behind: “Hey, Akhtar!” 
At once, Akhtar turned his head and noticed a childhood friend, Iqbal, from Kashmir Valley. He stopped and moved towards him, smiling warmly.
“Hello, Iqbal! How are you?” said Akhtar, coming closer and shaking hands with him.
“I’m fine and you?” spoke Iqbal.
“Not so fine,” Akhtar said, laughing as if at his own misfortune.
“Why? What happened? Iqbal said, showing too much concern about him. 
“Oh, nothing so serious,” Akhtar replied.
“You need not tell me anything. I can understand,” said Iqbal.
“Good time is bound to come. It can’t play hide and seek with good people for long,” said Akhtar, expressing full faith in his goodness and the Almighty God.
“I know you are a true follower of Islam and Islam, like all other religions, believes in all round peace, progress, prosperity and well-being of all the living beings,” supported shrewd Iqbal.
“Of course,” Akhtar said.
“Henceforth, your good time starts!” hugging him, said Iqbal - a honey-tongued and a heart of gall.
“What?” credulous Akhtar uttered, highly surprised.
 “Yes, believe me. Your long-wished ambition is going to be fulfilled very soon,” assured Iqbal.
“I have only one ambition and that…..”
Interrupting him, Iqbal said, “I know, I know. You want to join Indian Army to wipe out the bloody militants from our lovely Kashmir. I have good news for you. A special camp is being organized to form a unique Commando Squad.” 
“Where?” asked Akhtar.
“Meet me at the Red Square at 8.30 am tomorrow. Come with your all the Original Documents and 3 Xeroxed copies of each,” said Iqbal.
“Sure and sharp at 8.30 O’clock tomorrow morning,” Akhtar said enthusiastically.
“Okay, but remember, it’s quite Confidential Recruitment Camp,” Iqbal warned. Then both the friends parted happily. Akhtar was happy because he was going to get his desired job and Iqbal was happy on having him entrapped.

Akhtar reached his home a little late that evening. He told his parents the whole story. All were very happy to find the silver linings around the dark clouds, without guessing the horrific ordeal which was looming large. All family members had a nice sleep that night.

The next day, Akhtar met Iqbal at the appointed place and time. Iqbal took him to a nearby palace type large and old building. Both the boys sat on the bench in the waiting area. Some young men looking as army officers and soldiers were moving here and there. All seemed very busy.  Soon a young soldier came to them and said: “Who is Akhtar?”
At once Iqbal stood up and pointing towards Akhtar, said, “He is here, sir.” 
Then the soldier escorted Akhtar to the big Boss’ chamber. 
“Good Morning, Sir!” Entering the gorgeous room, Akhtar said and saluted the officer.
“Good Morning, Akhtar. Please, be seated. Pointing to a chair, the Boss said.
While Akhtar was sitting on the chair, the officer saw him with penetrating eyes and then cast a cursory glance at his documents.
“Good, Nice, Good, Oh, Excellent!” exclaimed the Boss, putting aside the papers.
“Akhtar, Congratulations! I am impressed with your achievements in the curricular as well as co-curricular activities. Feel yourself selected and quite safe. Now meet the concerning clerk in the adjoining room and proceed accordingly. Good Bye and Good Luck!” The Boss said, handing Akhtar the File of his Documents.
Akhtar went to the room and met the clerk as directed. The clerk took one Xeroxed Copy of each document and guided him to an officer of Colonel Rank.  The officer greeted Akhtar warmly and said: “Hi Guy, you are one of those lucky fellows who stand selected without facing
the rigorous Tests. Come here at 5pm today without delay OR you’ll miss this golden opportunity. Only four Xeroxed Copies of your documents and some dresses. You may have to go out of station for some days for special military training. But don’t worry at all. Now you are our family member. Just relax and get ready to come back sharp at 5pm. Bye.” 

Akhtar was extremely happy. First, he went to his parents’ work-place and told them this good news in detail. Then he ran to his house and shared his happiness with his brother and sisters. Having prepared himself fully, he took some rest. His parents also came home before time and he left for the Red-Square-Office at about 4pm.  
As soon as he arrived at the office, the same Colonel happened to meet him. He looked at his wrist watch and patting Akhtar’s back, said: “Good. It is 4.55 pm. Punctuality of time is the first and foremost thing in Army. You’ll be a great army officer one day.”
Then both went inside to complete other formalities. Akhtar was introduced to other soldiers and officers. The whole atmosphere seemed very cool and pleasant. Akhtar enjoyed it, relaxed himself in a room, took dinner at around 9.00pm, felt sleepy and soon went to bed with cheery mood.

The next day when he awoke, he did not know where he was. He found himself lying on a 6x4 feet bed in about 10x10 feet room with attached Lat-Bath. The door was closed from outside because there was no provision to bolt it from inside. 
A slight glimpse of sunlight was coming inside the room through the ventilator. Three soldiers with AK-47 were moving here and there in the corridor outside the room. They looked as if they were keeping watch over the inmates here. An officer with revolver in his belt often came there to see whether everything was OK. Akhtar saw it with half-closed eyes through the window.

He knew nothing and was quite bewildered. He asked himself: ‘What is this place? What is the time now? Amongst whom is he?’ He remained lying and pondering over it with closed eyes. Just then a soldier entered the room. 
“Hello, Sir!” He spoke loudly to awaken Akhtar.
“Hello, Good Morning!” Akhtar said, pretending to open his eyes.
“Sir, Morning has gone far away. It’s 11.30 now, almost noon,” saying this, he put a jug of water and a large mug of tea on the nearby table and said, “Freshen up yourself, sir. Lunch Time is at 2.30pm to 3.30pm today,” the soldier said and went out, closing the door.

Akhtar got up, went to washroom, washed his face and feet, gulped some water and began to take tea. Having finished his tea, he refreshed himself and lay down on the bed. The suspicious atmosphere seemed to be suffocating him, but what could be done? While he was absorbed in his thoughts, a soldier entered his room to take him to dining hall for lunch. Soon he got ready and accompanied him. 

The Dining Hall was about 40x40 squire feet and airy. It was in the center surrounded by a three feet wide gallery. The same was used as an Assembly Hall also. 

When Akhtar reached the dining hall, he found that some young boys were already sitting on the chairs there and some more were coming into the hall. In all, they were twenty boys from different places and most of them were Muslims.  At the end of lunch, each of them was given a printed paper depicting the whole program of a week. A senior officer addressed them, “Every activity from morning to evening is written in detail. Any new change can be seen on the main Notice Board in the Assembly Hall. It will come into force from tomorrow. Go through it and relax. Bye.” Then he left the hall and the boys also moved to their rooms.
There were about forty 10x10 feet rooms surrounded by a ten feet wide roofed corridor with one big gate and four windows in each of its four walls. There was a compound of the size of a soccer playground in front of the main gate of this constructed area.

Akhtar reached his room. He closed his eyes and started thinking about the latest incidents. The whole scene, since his first meeting with Iqbal, flashed fast through his mind. Iqbal’s treachery, duplicity of the so-called Indian Military Officers at Red Square Office in Kashmir, dinner laced with some intoxicating / sleep causing drugs and the reality of these unmasked militants ran on his mental screen just like a movie.
 Everything was crystal clear. He had fallen into the trap of heinous terrorists. This situation was just like a crossroad – What if? Now he had two ways and the death was on both the sides: Either as an ignominious traitor or as a glorious patriot. He had to choose fast and, naturally, he cast his lot for the latter. 

Being very ambitious and a good fighter in all the fields of life since the very beginning of his life, he made up his mind to fight and win this battle also.  He decided to make a fool-proof plan after thoroughly studying this place, these terrorists and their activities. While going to dining hall and coming from there, he had done a lot of home work in this regard.

It’s a well-known fact that iron cuts iron; poison kills poison; Antivirus eliminates the Viruses. 

Keeping in mind this basic philosophy, he proceeded towards his goal. He thought of a three pronged strategy and it was to be executed step by step. First of all, he had to conceal his plan from everybody and gain full faith of these scoundrels as well as their remote controllers. Second, he had to learn their each art and craft during the military training as a sincerely devoted militant. Third and last, he had to act as a potent Antivirus in their whole network and   annihilate the root cause/the life line i.e. IQBAL TYPE BLACK SHEEP as well as the masterminds of militant organizations such as Al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba, ISIS, IM, JI, MIT etc. 

Having drawn this plan/map in his mind, he tried to sleep for some time. But soon he heard the chirping of birds and understood that it was the early morning time. He left the idea of sleeping, refreshed himself and got ready to go out for the morning program as directed. That night, after dinner, he could not sleep at all. He remained lost in his thoughts of getting rid of these vile enemies of mankind. 

He reached the appointed open ground before time. He wanted to show that he was very enthusiastic for this training and the would-be mission, whatever it’s.
Seeing Akhtar on the ground, the trainer exclaimed: “Oh, Youngman, You are the First here!”
“Sir, I have to be the First in all the fields. I want to see the Flag of Islam flying across the world and that too in my life time.”

In this way, Akhtar won the hearts of all the well-known figures of this dark world within three-four months. He was being treated as an expert shooter, sincere suicide bomber and strategist. Ultimately, he was selected to head the Jihadist Squad to disrupt the Election Process in Jammu and Kashmir during November – December 2014. 
Things were moving in the desired direction. One morning after the routine program, he was called by the Supreme Commander in his room.
He said, “Akhtar, you are a perfect soldier and the best choice for this mission. Be prepared to go.” 
“Thank you, sir!” saying and saluting him, he continued “It’s my pleasure. When and how?”
“Don’t bother about this. Today or tomorrow or some other day, it’s up to us,” saying so, the boss pointed towards the door.
“Okay, Sir!” saluting him again, Akhtar came out of the room. 

He felt his dream was going to be fulfilled very soon. By the words of Supreme Commander, Akhtar guessed that he would certainly be sent to Kashmir. He started visualizing everything connected, closely or remotely, to Kashmir and India.  His mind began to work as a computer and further planning was started as well as almost completed within a couple of hours. He was only waiting for the final picture in this regard. 
Around 4pm the same day, he was told to reach the Assembly Hall within five minutes for an Emergency Meeting. When he went there, he saw that some other boys also were going to the hall. They gathered in the hall. There were fifteen boys, including him, and the big boss with three other soldiers.
The Boss declared, “You’ve been chosen to disrupt the democratic/election process at Jammu and Kashmir in India by spreading terror amongst the people there. Akhtar is the leader and all will have to follow his orders. Understand?”
“Yes, Boss!” All the boys said in one voice, the boss continued “Akhtar, you are full-fledged in charge of this mission. You’ll meet the clerk at Red Square Office in Kashmir during day time, get the further instructions from him and act accordingly. OK.”
“Okay, Sir!” He saluted the boss.
“All of you will move from here in the late hours of evening today. An ultramodern special ship will carry you there from the nearest and only beach of this island. You’ll find a kit containing essential items in your respective room. Now go and get ready for the mission. Good Luck!” The boss said and left the hall. All the boys also did the same as they were ordered to do.

Akhtar and his whole team reached a far flung Indian coast at mid-night and from there they were taken to the Red Square Office by four masked men. It was about 3am. All of them were very tired and went to sleep as directed. Akhtar also went, but he didn’t sleep and remained busy giving final shape to his pre-planned program. Now he knew the main source of all the required information and that was the clerk. He met the clerk at about 10.30am and got the list of ‘Dos and Don’ts’ from him. 
Then he came to his room, read it thoroughly and the whole picture became quite clear. He came to know the names and Code Numbers of some Indian Army Officers who were deputed to supervise the areas in Jammu and Kashmir. He was to contact only those Indian officers whose name and code number was in the list, and that too if very essential. He found the name with photo of his uncle - a Brigadier in Indian Army. But his code number was not mentioned. It matters little. The rest he had understood. The names with code numbers were of traitors while the others were patriots. Without wasting the time, he contacted his uncle with the help of the Code Number which his uncle had given him on his being selected as the best N.C.C. cadet of the state. Then uncle told him to use it when necessary because only through this way an out sider could talk to him. 
“Hello!” the voice came.
Recognizing the voice, Akhtar said: “Hello uncle, it’s Akhtar.” At once, the whole conspiracy was disclosed to him and Akhtar was asked not to contact him till everything is set right. 

 In this way, on reaching Kashmir Valley in India, Akhtar started implementing his plan. He waited for the day when some other terrorists and masterminds were to reach the pre-fixed place. But the time and venue had been changed at the last moment. 
So what! Come what may, Akhtar was one of those fighters who, without losing the heart, fight till the last breath. He also changed his strategy and decided to reach the meeting place as a suicide bomber and performed his duty as a true nationalist. 
He died as a loyal Indian soldier and true lover of Islam. He died, but with many dreaded killers and after having failed their malicious designs. 

His extraordinary services were recognized by the top most officers of Indian Forces. His uncle helped a lot in bringing the truth in light. After some days, it was announced on TV that Akhtar would be honored, posthumously, with Parma Veer Chakra – the highest Bravery Award of Indian Forces and one of his family members would be recruited in Indian Forces as per his/her abilities. 

Thus Akhtar utilized his adversity as an opportunity and converted it to his progress and prosperity. As a brave person, he welcomed the curse as a disguised blessing and achieved his long wished dream of serving the country as a true Muslim as well as an Indian Army Officer. Akhtar died to live forever! 
Success honors those who take right and bold decision at the life’s crossroads i.e. in the ‘What If?’ situation.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
1. Words: 3205
2. Al-Qaeda: Militant Islamic Organization founded by Osama bin Laden.
ISIS: Islamic State of Iraq and Syria; Lashkar-e-Taiba; IM [Indian Mujahedeen];
JI: Jemaah Islamiyah; MIT: Mujahedeen Indonesia Timor

     

© Copyright 2024. RPSaxena All rights reserved.
RPSaxena has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement