FanStory.com - Abandonedby bob cullen
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Calin makes a difficult choice
Framed
: Abandoned by bob cullen

Background
Calin Roberts is an operative of Homeland Security. His name however appears on no official documentation, his reputation though is known and feared throughout every hallway in Washington

They worked in silence, Jess carrying the weapons while Alexis loaded the backpacks. Calin studied them intently, not as women but as potential allies. Alexis was a soldier, trained and adept in battle, Jess on the other hand was an athlete, blessed with speed, agility and physical strength. Jess's medical knowledge provided another bonus. Conversely, he wondered, how would she perform in the pressure of a shoot-out?

He knew they'd not survive as a trio; animosity between them was nearing explosion, a choice had to be made. Who was the better equipped for what lay ahead, Jess or Alexis? Decision time was fast approaching. Should loyalty to Jess override the soldiering skills of Alexis, skills that may well ensure survival? Reality promoted Alexis, conscience however sided with Jess. It was a case of self-interest opposed to debt owed.


Calin steered to the far side of the river, there were fewer houses, and it was less affected by current. He maintained a steady speed upstream as the girls kept a vigilant lookout for submerged and surface obstacles.

"Why are we going against the current?" demanded Alexis. "Surely common sense suggests it would be wiser to take advantage of the river flow?"

"Alexis, you're right. And that I believe is the thinking that will be employed by our pursuers. Their search will be centred downstream. Furthermore, Jess and I agreed...."

"It's not just you and Jess, anymore. I too deserve the right for input."

"I'll start considering your opinion when, and if you lose your attitude. Remember, Alexis, you came to us."

"Fuck you too." Could her anger be harnessed, an ill-disciplined soldier was a liability.

"Alexis, listen to me." Calin wondered if he was wasting his breath. "Believe it or not, we both share the same goal. You want to see your father's killer exposed and I want to be absolved of that crime. It's in both our interests to work together." Sensitivity, a trait unknown to Calin prior to meeting Jess, reared its head. How was this conversation impacting on Jess? Calin didn't dare a glance in her direction. The truth couldn't be denied. He required the assistance of Alexis. His eyes were riveted on the one he was addressing.

"And your father holds the key to everything. We need to discover who was responsible for organising the investigation into Trent. And more importantly, we have to find out who killed Trent; and Walford too for that matter."

"How do you propose to do that?"

"With your help," said Calin. In uttering those three words, Calin arrived at his decision. Alexis could provide information Jess couldn't. She could help him locate his past.



Conversation ceased, the silence suited Calin. It allowed him time to dwell on and justify his decision. The fuel supply lasted a little over three hours. Time enough for Calin to arrive at a conclusion, he'd tell Jess in the morning.

An hour after midnight, they were again on foot. The inflatable now submerged midstream on the river bed, hopefully never to be found.

"We need to get some sleep," he announced as they trekked along a path adjacent to the river. They were heading back in the direction they had come. They'd passed beneath a six lane bridge a short distance back, it would, Calin hoped, provide some indication of their whereabouts.



Jess sensed Calin's dilemma. He'd grown quiet and pensive. She'd not seen him like this before. Several times while on lookout duty for river snags, she'd glanced around and recognised a troubled and faraway look on his face. Jess felt a degree of guilt. Was the combative aggression between her and Alexis a contributing cause to his distress?

She listened to the exchange between Calin and Alexis. She found the attitude of Alexis offensive; Calin was correct, Alexis did come to them. His next statement; 'your father holds the key,' imposed the harsh reality of fact. Only one person had knowledge of her father, knowledge that could well shed light on Calin's past, Alexis herself. That ensured Alexis was irreplaceable. Then the knife found her heart, 'with your help.'

Just like the doctor who had seen her suspended from the hospital, Jess knew Calin was making a mistake. Alexis couldn't be trusted. Nonetheless Jess accepted the voice of authority; the decision was out of her hands. She was merely the one being dismissed. When would he tell her? Morning, perhaps, impulsiveness demanded her response. She'd disappear during the night.

Calin's suggestion to sleep provided the opportunity. She watched as fatigue took hold. Alexis was the first to drift off, Calin followed. Jess waited.
Around two she rose and vanished into the night.


Anger intensified with every step, it was directed at Calin. What an ungrateful bastard, she'd tended to his injuries, assisted in his escape from the Dalton home and now been cast off. Logic interrupted her thoughts. He'd saved her life. Without Calin, she'd be dead. Perhaps she needed to reassess.

He was fighting for his life. In choosing Alexis over her, he was possibly saving her a second time. Nonetheless she experienced the ego destroying pain of dismissal. Obstinacy reared its' irrational head. Surely, it was her life, if she chose to risk it, the decision rested with her. What right did Calin have to tell her what to do? Time alone allowed her to rationalise. Running achieved nothing, she owed Calin an explanation. She turned around.

They were gone.

Author Notes
Finally a posting under a thousand words

     

© Copyright 2024. bob cullen All rights reserved.
bob cullen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement