FanStory.com - CHAPTER NUEVE; PART UNOby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

Texas Dream Catcher
: CHAPTER NUEVE; PART UNO by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Soni swallowed. "It seems the knife missed his main organs. You can stitch the wound and give him antibiotics for infection. Diego's strong and healthy. Alex, get something so we can safely move him into the house. We'll put him on the table. The doc'll need a clean space for the surgery."

"I'll do what I can. You understand it doesn't look good, don't you?" Dr. Hanson petted Diego. "I have some anesthesia but not a lot. I hope it's enough.

Tears welled in Soni's eyes as she nodded.


TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER NINE

Even though Tatiana, Alex, and Jim encouraged Soni to go to bed, she stayed and assisted Doc Hanson with Diego's surgery.

Around 1:30 Saturday morning, Soni answered a knock at the door. "Grandfather, what are you doing here?"

"Naiyenesgani informed me you had problems. I've brought my healing bag." Shaman held up his large buffalo-skin bag.

Soni fell into her Grandfather's arms. "The Great Creator's correct." Tears rolled down her cheeks, as she told Kuruk about last night's events.

Dr. Hanson walked up to Kuruk and offered his hand. "Shaman, I'm glad you're here. I've done all I can, but Diego's wound is deep. The knife missed his vital organs, but I've never seen a knife wound that deep. He needs your healing power."

"Take me to the animal."

Soni and the doc took Kuruk to the dining room table. He leaned over the dog and frowned. "Granddaughter, I'll do all I can, but sometimes Naiyenesgani's plans are different than ours."

"I know, Grandfather." As tears continued to fall, Goliath lifted up his large paw for Soni to take. She knelt and hugged the large white dog with her head buried in his fur.

The Shaman lit incense and used healing herbs as he began to chant.

Dr. Hanson motioned he'd let himself out and mouthed he would return in the afternoon.

Soni nodded and remained on the floor, hugging Golaith. Mack laid on her opposite side and put his head in her lap.

*****
Predawn light lit up the dining room as the Shaman closed his healing bag. "Sonsee-array, it's up to Naiyenesgani. I've done all I can. I need to leave now."

"I'll stay until he wakes." Soni hugged her grandfather. "Thank you for always knowing when I need you." She kissed his cheek. "Be safe on your drive home."

"I'll always be here for you, my child." Kuruk kissed the top of her head before he turned and left.

Soni petted Diego's neck and whispered, "I know you did all you could to protect Midnight. You're the great protector of the stables. You have to be all right."

Diego whimpered, and his tail thumped once.

"Alex, Tatiana!" yelled Soni. "Diego's going to make it!" She held her hands over her mouth and hopped up and down. "He's going to make it! I knew he would!"

Tatiana and Alex hurried from their bedroom and stared at the silent dog lying on the table. "How do you know?" asked Alex.

"He told me."

"I'm sure he did." Tatiana put her arm around Soni's shoulders. "I'm sure he did."

*****
The three decided Diego would remain on the table and breakfast would be eaten in the living room.

Alex and Soni took seats as Tatiana brought their filled plates and asked, "Has anybody seen Jim this morning?"

"Last night probably took a toll on him. He's still healing from this gunshot. Let him sleep." Alex took a sip of coffee. He set the cup down as a knock sounded at the door. "Now, who could that be this early?" He glanced at his watch. "It's barely 8:00."

"Robert Hughes? What brings you out so early?" Alex offered his hand. "I didn't think government men worked on Saturdays."

"You can't be finished with your investigation so soon. Did you decide we haven't broken any laws and came to tell us you'll leave us alone?" Soni put a wild blackberry in her mouth.

Robert glanced at the dog on the table. "What happened?"

"Last night he was stabbed while guarding our stables. My prized stallion was stolen. The vet needed a place to do surgery." Soni stared at him. "What brings you here? I'm guessing it has something to do with that manila envelope in your hand." She pointed.

"I know you were at the reservation, participating in a Native American powwow. Isn't that what they call them?"

"We were at the reservation celebrating a bountiful harvest. How did you know that?"

Hughes held up the legal sized envelope. "I received this by special delivery very early this morning. It's proof of your participation in a ceremony where peyote was abundant."

"That's ridiculous. I was there, but peyote wasn't present, let alone abundant."

Hughes opened the envelope and removed the photographs. "Do you deny this is you dancing?" The Homeland Security man also took out two peyote buttons.

"Of course, it's me. I danced The Fancy Shawl Dance. I do it every year, but there's never any peyote Who took this anyway?"

"You need to come with me."

"No, I don't. I'm needed here with Diego. I'll come in when we're sure he's out of danger."

"By then the drugs will be out of your system. You need to come, now," Hughes' voice was stern as he took hold of her arm.

Soni yanked it away. "I'll go on my own, but when this is over I expect an apology. If Diego dies, it's on you."





Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for an image of an Apache medicine bag. Since Kuruk means bear in Apache, I thought he might have a bear on his medicine bag. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement