FanStory.com - Escaping to the legion or ending itby MCLII1987
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
ending it all or
Escaping to the legion or ending it by MCLII1987

Growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn was no fun. Both of my parents worked odd jobs. They both supported there drug habits more than they did me. They did whatever they had to do to get there drugs.

Once when I was about ten years old I watched my mother perform oral sex on a man right there in our living room. Just so she could get enough money to buy more crack.  

The day that I turned eighteen I was still in high school. I came home from school to find a box with what little personal possessions I owned sitting on the front porch, with a note that read get the hell out.  You’re not our problem anymore.

I knew all of these years that I was just a burden to them. I had not a dollar to my name. I got a job working as an overnight stocker at Wal Mart. I rented the cheapest motel room I could find. I tried my hardest to both work and go to school.
  
But staying up all night I would easily fall asleep in class. At this point I thought some miracle would  fall out of the sky like it does in the movies, but my life is not a fairy tale so that did not end up happening.

In order to keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach I had to quit school, so much for being the first one in my family to graduate high school. I hated my job. I began to grow very mad and bitter about the situation that I had been put in.

There were plenty of nights where I just wanted to tell the boss to take this job and shove it, but if I did that I would freeze to death in the furious Brooklyn winter.  Before I knew it a year had come and gone. Where does the time go?

I could not see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I knew I had to get out now, before I went crazy and ended up taking my own life.

I came up with a plan. One of my coworkers that I had become close to had a way out for me. He just worked at Wal Mart part time three days a week. His regular job was loading cargo onto aircraft at JFK.

He told me he could sneak me onto a plane bound for France.  He said when I landed he would have his contact unload the crate with me in it. Then all I had to do was make it to the foreign legion recruiting station without being caught.

If I was caught in any part of this sure I would go to jail, but I was willing to risk everything before I ended it all.

The night came he snuck me onto the runway then onto the aircraft. During the sixteen hour flight time seemed to stop. I was just sitting in the crate. I was covered in sweat. I thought I would sweat to death.

I was finally let out of the crate. My friends contact let me out of the crate and put me into a cab to the foreign legion recruiting station. I was accepted for basic training. It was hard as hell. Because I was not in good shape and I hated exercise.

By the skin of my teeth I finished basic training and was assigned to Headquarters Company for five years. I learned vary soon that life in the legion was almost like that of a monk. We were allowed vary few personal possessions. I soon became depressed. Still this life was better than ending it all, even though the legion and the legion in books were two very different worlds.
       

     

© Copyright 2024. MCLII1987 All rights reserved.
MCLII1987 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement