FanStory.com - CHAPTER CINCO, PART UNOby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni discusses security measures with the area mangers.
Texas Dream Catcher
: CHAPTER CINCO, PART UNO by barbara.wilkey

Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Can these two find love?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

A long silence ensued, before Soni said, "As for your part in this, if you see anything suspicious, report it. If you're found with drugs, not only do you have legal problems, you've automatically lost your job. Please remember when you were hired you signed an agreement that this is a drug-free environment.
Are there any questions or comments?"

Ben raised his hand and asked, "I was lookin' at these papers you gave us. They look like they're security measures. Is this because of that Hughes guy?"

Soni's eyes met Ben's. "They are security measures, but they may be for a different reason."


TODAYS POST:

CHAPTER FIVE

Soni brushed a few stray strands of hair from her face. "All of us need to implement this security plan." She pointed to the map. "Everyone in this room is in charge of one of the areas I've designated with a pin."

Jose laughed. "Look, she color coded them."

"I thought you needed a visual," Soni teased.

The men laughed, poked their neighbors, and commented to each other.

"Shhh." As Soni waited for the men to quiet, her eyes twinkled. They're enjoying the color coding. "Each area has a natural boundary on two or three sides which you can herd the livestock into. They'll be protected there. Some are large areas and the others are medium, but they're fine for the different types of livestock you're working with. Each area's described in the packets by the land marks. Dad planned this a few years back. Any questions so far?"

Tatiana knocked on the door and opened it. "Soni, Antonio needs to talk with you. Is it all right?"

Soni stepped outside the door and bent so she was eye-to-eye with the ten year old. "What's the problem?"

Both dogs stood beside her.

"Mi papa asked me to pull weeds out of the garden. He's going to pay me one whole dollar an hour." Antonio stared at his bare feet. "But Midnight is eating the tomatoes. I tried chasing him away, but I think he laughed at me. Can horses laugh?"

"That horse can." Soni slumped her shoulders and sighed. "Gus, Midnight's at it again." She touched Antonio's arm. "He'll take care of it. Go help yourself to some snacks. They're on the table." She smiled as she watched the boy grab two cookies and then a sandwich. "Tatiana, can you get a few dollars from the cookie jar? Weeding that garden is worth at least three dollars an hour."

"Sure." Tatiana smiled and walked away.

"Ms. Soni, how you going to keep that stallion in one place?" Pedro chuckled.

"Hell, I want ta know how we're gonna keep them Brahman bulls from roaming around." John adjusted his leather vest. "They're difficult on a good day."

"Senor, the longhorns don't like being cooped up either." Jose used his two pointer fingers as horns and pretended to battle. "They'll start fighting each other."

The men laughed.

"Dakota, I haven't heard from you. I'm sure the buffaloes won't like it either." After he agreed, Soni added, "I understand this will be a hardship on everybody and on the livestock, but I'm hoping it won't last long."

Soni made eye contact with each cowboy. "I also want all ranch hands to travel in groups or at least pairs. I don't want any accidents." She used her fingers to highlight the word accidents.

Bill stepped closer to the front. "Ma'am, I don't want to cause trouble, but we don't even know why. What aren't you telling us? We have a right to know."

"I can't answer that question. Not because I'm hiding anything, but because I don't know. If I knew, I'd share it." Soni turned and stared at the ranch map for a few moments, before she faced the men. "This may sound crazy to some, but you've all worked on this ranch for years. I think Pedro's the newest area manager and he's been here for what, six years?"

After Pedro nodded, Soni relayed her experience yesterday with Naiyenesgani. "You may not believe in the Great Creator and that's your right. Through the years I've found Grandfather's wisdom very valuable. I know my father listened to him and the Rockin' A has prospered. I was told to implement security measures to protect the ranch hands and the livestock. That's what I'm doing. I wasn't told why or who the enemy was. Questions or comments?"

The room fell silent.

"If there are no questions, I have nothing else. Thank you for coming." Soni hung her head and walked toward the door. Goliath and Mack followed.

"Ma'am, I'd like to say something. I hope I speak for more than just myself. I've got almost twenty-five years on this ranch. When your dad hired me, you were just knee-high-to-a-goose." Dakota used his hands to show height. "I've watched you grow up. I've grown up on this ranch too. I was just a wild young'un who needed a job. Your dad saw something in me and gave me a chance. Ray was always a fair man. I vote to give you that same chance. Anybody with me? Let's see some raised hands." Dakota faced the men.

Everyone raised their hand.

"Thank you, Dakota." Soni smiled. "Thank you all. I hope I don't disappoint any of you. Meeting adjourned. Please help yourselves to more refreshments. There's plenty."

As the men filed from the den, Alex led Miguel to Soni. "Are you going to San Antonio with me?"

Soni tilted her head. "I'm sorry, but I really don't feel we know each other well enough to go away for a weekend together. So I have to say no."

"I told you we'd have separate rooms. How can we get to know each other unless we spend time together?"

"We'll get to know each other slowly as we have been."

Dakota patted Soni on the back. "Keep up the good work."

"Thank you."

"Why are all the cowboys here? Has something happened?" Miguel scanned the living and dining rooms.

"No reason. I'm instituting quarterly meetings and this is the first one."

Miguel shrugged his shoulders. "Okay, I guess. I heard that stranger was snooping around again. Have you heard anything?"

"'Fraid not. Where do you hear this stuff from?"

"Just around." Miguel eyed Kuruk leaving the spare bedroom. "Your grandfather staying here, now?"

"You haven't met Grandfather, have you? Would you like to?"

"Sure." Miguel didn't wait for Soni. He attempted to push the large dogs out of the way, but they stood firm. He walked around them and then straight to Kuruk, and held out his hand. "I'm Miguel Sanchez. I'm glad to meet you."

Kuruk accepted the hand. "I'm Sonsee-array's Grandfather."

"Soni and I are dating." Miguel looked up and down Kuruk. "I've heard you're a champion knife thrower."

"I've won a few competitions." Kuruk turned and faced Alex.

"My buddies told me that Apaches always have their knives on them, just hidden. Is that true?" Miguel glanced at his cell. "Excuse me I need to take this."

Kuruk led Alex closer to the front door. "Friday we're having a bountiful harvest celebration at the reservation. I hope you and Tatiana can attend."

Soni walked up and took her grandfather's arm. "Have one of the buffaloes disappeared for the celebration's dinner?"

Kuruk chuckled. "Your next head count might be one short or maybe the braves found a wild one roaming the reservation. They didn't say it had the Rockin' A's brand."

"Soni's already invited us for Friday night's celebration. We're planning to attend."

Kuruk offered his hand to Alex. "I need to leave." He kissed his granddaughter's cheek. "Sanchez isn't your boyfriend, is he?" Soni shook her head, and then Kuruk continued, "Good. I don't like him." He walked out the door.

Soni followed. "I thought you'd have dinner with us tonight." Her shoulders slumped.

Kuruk placed his hand on her arm. "I'll be back, my child. I just need time away from people."

Her brown eyes twinkled. "Thank you, Grandfather." Soni hugged him.

*****
Soni walked back inside and glanced at the spare bedroom door. I want to check on Jim. She noticed Miguel wandering through the living room. First, I'd better get rid of him.

As Miguel's eyes met Soni's, he walked up to her. "Did your grandfather leave? I wasn't finished talking with him."

"He has things he needed to take care of at the reservation."

"How old is he?"

"Seventy-four. Why?" Soni started for the door. That's an odd question. "I think all the cowboys have left. It's getting pretty late and I have some chores I need to finish before dinner."

"I guess I need to be moseying along. I'll try to come by this weekend."

"That'll be nice. I have plans for Friday evening."

"That was fast." Miguel glared at her. "You didn't mention anything earlier."

"They've been made for quite a while. I got my weekends mixed up." Soni watched him walk to his pickup, and then went inside the house.

After Soni heard the truck leave, she opened the door to Jim's room.

He looks like he's asleep. Soni sat in a chair by the door with Goliath and Mack lying on the floor beside her.

A few moments passed, before Jim asked, "Are you going to say something or just stare at me?"


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a photo of I35 going through TX. The map also shows it going through the heartland of the US. Well, last week was difficult. I didn't have time to review, answer reviews, or write. I am hoping once a routine is set, things will be easier. I have written ahead and notes to the rest of my novel. Once I get into my notes, I am sure posts will be shorter. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm still making numerous errors and need all of your help. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement