FanStory.com - Blind Faith As a Faultby michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Non Fiction-Contest Entry
Blind Faith As a Fault by michaelcahill
Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

 
Many say that never giving up at some point becomes foolish. Many think that a life is wasted wishin' and hopin'. How many husbands or wives support a dreamer until either the day they leave or the day they die? Or, perhaps you find this article a waste of your time, Mrs. Spielberg.
 
Many a spouse has sat patiently by while their budding rock star mate has bloomed, faded and now clings desperately to the vine. What do you say? What if there are no other options in your partners mind? What if that is what will kill your partner either figuratively or sometimes literally? Is it time for that little reality chat then?
 
Is it time for my wife to tell me, "Honey, I don't think you are going to write the next great American Novel. In fact, I don't think you're going to write the next decent American Novel either. Taco Bell is hiring. I hear they have accelerated programs for seniors. You could be a manager. You could bring the "enchirito" back. Remember the "enchirito". You used to love those. Half enchilada, half taco. I never thought you would get over it when they stopped offering it. The dream could live."
 
Perhaps it is time for me to reiterate to her, "I understand your envy, honey. But, I can't stop what I am, any more than a super nova can resist its own desire to explode in a display witnessed by all that live in the universe. Pleased that all bow at my feet? No, embarrassed, really. I'm a humble man. It's a gift, I know that. Why I have been singled out of mankind, I don't know. I just bow in gratitude and enjoy. But, I appreciate that it concerns you. Fear not darling, when the time comes, I will look out over the adoring throng and thank you for all of your support. I will tell the world that I couldn't have done it without you."
 
How precious, after all these years, tears of joy and speechless to boot. Yes, my darling, back to your little shows and telephone calls. I will take care of the little things, like immortality, here.
 
It is argued that a predilection to pursue a dream to the bitter end lacks sense and practicality. One might say that a point of realization has to come and that none too soon. I say that to quit too soon ensures failure when success remains possible. As long as the pursuit remains afoot, realization can be achieved. Without the quest, there is no grail.
 
Is there a more serious side to this question? There are other aspects of life besides personal goals and dreams. Is it possible that one so stubborn in nature as to never give up might find that quality to be an advantage in life? I'll let you decide.
 
For whatever reason, I became a rescuer in life. Perhaps being thrust into a position of caring for family members at a young age gave me a predilection for taking care of people and seeking out people that needed help. There are, no doubt, many books on the topic.
 
I will make this easy on myself. Let us suppose that a man, with characteristics like mine, met a young lady, when he was a young musician; let's say thirty years ago. Imagine a pretty young gal enamored of the front man for a rock and roll band hoping to meet him, maybe, and improve a rather boring dating life. Maybe the young rocker on stage had just endured a miserable marriage and found this young gal a pleasant surprise from the usual older "play some Stones" crowd he was used to. I never write anything personal about anyone but myself. However, I was given the okay and even the encouragement to do so in this case.
 
What if she turned out to be a recently recovered heroin addict? What if she had replaced heroin with whatever else she could get her hands on?

"Step right up! Let's give this dude some advice, shall we?"
 
"The thing about a leopard is, it has spots. See? In other words, you can't change them. Get it?"
 
Of course, one that is a rescuer is going to rescue. Furthermore, one that has a predilection to never give up, is never going to give up.
 
The first step after the mandatory love at first sight affliction is to move the pretty young lady in. Normally, a pretty young lady has a grandmother in distress. I have found that to be the case in my experience, anyway. Well, with this much commitment already at play, marriage is next.
 
"Dude, she's still an alcoholic, that isn't going to change just because you want it to."
 
"Yes, it will. It just takes time. I have faith in her."
 
Years and years passed. She attempted to become sober. She failed. It reached a point where there was not one person that thought I should continue to give her another chance. The consensus was that I was wasting my time. She would never change. I had thrown most of my life away and I was about to throw the rest of it away as well.
 
I didn't think so. I'm stubborn. I still thought she would realize that she had to become sober to have a real life. I still thought that she would realize this. I am stubborn. The arguments that people made for me to move on and do something for myself made sense. It didn't exist within me to abandon her to pursue projects that would benefit me. Pursuing things for myself is not something I ever learned how to do. I understood the arguments and would advise other people in my situation the same way. But, I could not take that advice for myself. I remained stubborn and unwilling to give up.
 
Over twenty years passed by. She remained an alcoholic and in the eyes of everyone that knew me, I remained an object of pity. Poor person, he just will not give up. What a fool. He threw his life away on a hopeless cause.
 
About six years ago, my wife became sober and has remained so. I never stopped believing she would.
 
I suppose you could say that blind faith is my greatest fault.

 

Recognized

Author Notes
With my wife's permission. I am not one to write about anyone that might be affected negatively by anything I write. True, we all throw some non-fiction into our stories, but it is not naming anyone and is to make a point. I don't mind writing about my flaws (if I ever find one!), but I have an aversion to writing about anyone else. So, thank you to my wife.

     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement