FanStory.com - Homeless Jesusby Dean Kuch
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What would He think?
Homeless Jesus by Dean Kuch

 photo homelessJesus1_zps6f5e0fe2.jpg


 photo homelessJesus_zps119da5d8.jpg

Recognized

Author Notes
What would you do if you saw someone wrapped in a blanket, sleeping on a bench outside a church?

For Cindy Castano Swannack who drove by St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Davidson, North Carolina, the answer was--"Call the police!"
When informed that it was only a sculpture depicting Jesus (with stigmata on his bare feet that poke out from under the blanket), Swannack seemed taken aback.

As modern-day Christian art goes, the sculpture by Canadian artist Timothy P. Schmlaz, is quite poignant.
"I have to say, I kinda like it", says Cindy. Of course, not all people agree.
In a letter to a local news website, resident Jerry Dawson likened the Jesus depiction to a creepy Grim Reaper, and added:
"My complaint is not about the art-worthiness or the meaning behind the sculpture. It is about people driving into our beautiful, reasonably upscale neighborhood and seeing an ugly homeless person sleeping on a park bench."

Really? A statue of Christ--a creepy 'Grim Reaper'? An 'ugly homeless person'? I'd imagine that Mr. Dawson is just the sort of individual this sculpture was designed to reach, to bring to life the plight of the homeless.

Jerry, If I were you, I'd be very cautious if you're ever caught out on the golf course of that country club I'm sure you belong to. When a thunderstorm rolls in, watch overhead for lightning bolts...just sayin'.

I hope Jerry has a nice, big home.

I'm sure he does...

     

© Copyright 2024. Dean Kuch All rights reserved.
Dean Kuch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement