FanStory.com - Changeby GWHARGIS
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
End of the Season
Change by GWHARGIS

She sat on the beach. Few people were still here. Labor day always seemed to float like a curtain, cutting off the noise and busy feel of the barrier island she called home.

There was a certain coolness to the air, or maybe it was all in her head. Now was a time to slow down, to remember how life should be lived. With each passing day, the number of tourists would dwindle until it was once again just locals.

The lines at the grocery store would be shorter, and who knows, there might even be some bread left on the shelf.

But it was more than that. The air felt different. It was as if summer would soon be leaving with the tide. As she looked out at the ocean she could imagine summer disappearing beyond the horizon. She was secure in the knowledge that it would return. It always did.

She stood and brushed the sand off her legs and started to walk back to her car. The funny thing is, it was her first trip to the beach since May. Her summer was just beginning.



Recognized

Author Notes
Feed back. This is how it is where I live. Locals wait until the tourists have used and abused the island. Then we come out to enjoy the beauty of the Outer Banks when the season ends. But as you can imagine, it's worth it. Thank you to youngy868 for the perfect picture.

     

© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement