FanStory.com - Peter's Introduction to Poetryby Spiritual Echo
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
contest entry
Peter's Introduction to Poetry by Spiritual Echo
    Through the eyes of a child Contest Winner 

Dear God, you know my grandma, don't you? Dad says she's older than Moses and I'm sure you know him, seeing as you made him a campfire up in the mountains. Anyway, my grandma keeps talking like she's your friend, so is it okay if I ask you a few questions?

She's got me learning this poem and says I have to get it right. God, none of it makes sense. Do you think Grandma's gone cukoo? Dad says that some old people go nuts sometimes, but she's pretty normal--for a grandma that is.

I mean, she still makes cookies using flour and sugar and they taste better than the ones Mom makes from a tube, but she says she doesn't know how to make Oreos and they're my favourite.

She hardly ever says no--yes is her favourite word. But, then she warns me not to ask for too much. That's confusing. If we go to Wal-Mart, she lets me buy a toy every time, but once I asked for two and she put both on them back on the counter and wouldn't buy me a single one. I asked her why? She got a little cukoo that time as well. You know how she answered me, God? She said Y was the letter right after X. Well that sure shut me up in a hurry, but I still didn't get a toy that day.

So, it's this poem thing that I need your help with. Maybe you can explain it to me.

Is your real name Art?

The poem starts with 'our father, who art in heaven.' Grandma says it's a prayer, but she tries to trick me all the time. You know, like trying to hide cauliflower in with mashed potatoes? I think it's a poem about you.

Do people call you Art up there in heaven--after they die, or is God your real name? Maybe it's your last name--you know, Art God. It sounds like a good name.

And even though I'll learn the right words--sooner or later--if it is a prayer, can we talk about my daily bread? See, when I go to school, the other kids have these sandwiches made on this bread that is as white as clouds. I traded a Twinkie for half a sandwich one time and it sure tasted good, but it's summer, there's no school and all Grandma gives me is this brown bread that I have to chew a whole lot before I can even swallow. Do you think if I learn this poem you might send some Wonder bread to Grandma's house?

Okay, I've got to go. Grandma will be in soon to tuck me in and listen to me as I try to remember the poem again. One last thing, Art, I'm just seven years old. Amen sounds too grown up for me. Do you think it would be okay if I changed the ending to Aboy?

Your friend,

Peter



Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.
Through the eyes of a child
Contest Winner

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement