FanStory.com - Chapter 9, part 1by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Billy Joe arrives.
Savannah Love
: Chapter 9, part 1 by barbara.wilkey

Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.

CHAPTER NINE

Morgan put his front paws on the arm of the couch and barked. Paige petted his head. "What's wrong?"

Cash and Paige turned toward a knock on the door. Cash released a deep breath before he stood. "I bet that's Billy Joe and Mary Pat."

At the door, Cash asked, "What took so long?"

"We were almost here when my gut told me to check on Nala."

"She all right?"

"Somebody's been knocking on her door. By the time she gets there they're gone." Billy Joe chewed the end of a tooth pick. "She has an aunt East of town. Her and the kids are spending the night there."

"I'm glad you checked on her." Cash patted his buddy's back. "Paige is in the parlor."

"Where's the note?" Billy Joe and his wife followed Cash.

Mary Pat hugged Paige. "I can't believe this is happening. You all right?'

"I'm not sure." Tears rolled down Paige's cheeks. "I don't understand."

After the men discussed the note, Cash said, "Billy Joe, come with me. I think the downstairs is safe." He glanced at the women. "But we'd better make sure before we check upstairs and the outside." He studied Mary Pat. When she patted her jeans pocket, he grinned. "Let's go."

As Billy Joe and Cash turned to leave, Morgan barked. Cash turned. "You need to stay and protect the women."

The puppy wagged his tail and barked again.

"That mutt understood you." Billy Joe shook his head.

"Come on." Cash left the parlor with his friend.

The open library door caught Cash's eye. He motioned toward Billy Joe, and they scanned the room before entering. Nothing seemed out of order.

Cash stared at a photograph tilted on the wall. That's strange. Nala must've bumped it when she cleaned. Paige told me this guy's Bradley Bookman. He straightened it and touched the uniform. Those uniform buttons look like the one I found in Paige's bed. He scratched his head. "Let's get out of here."

Billy Joe followed his friend. "Do we need to take somebody out to the woodshed and teach them some manners?"

"Not yet." He glanced back at the library. "If there's somebody in here, I'm not sure how much damage your wife's pea shooter can do. Let's check out the dining room."

Once the downstairs rooms were cleared, Billy Joe leaned against a wall in the kitchen with ceiling to floor cupboards. It opened. He peeked in. "Hey, did you know this place has a secret staircase?"

"Nothing about this place surprises me anymore."

"I wonder if there's a tunnel?"

"You've been around Paige too long. There's no secret tunnels." Cash started up the stairs.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for the photo representing a confederate civil war jacket. Thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm posting this section really fast. I hope I didn't miss too much while editing. I'm on spring break so I hope I can catch up some. LOL

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement