FanStory.com - Letter to a Young Ladyby dejohnsrld (Debbie)
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Thoughts on Growing Up
Letter to a Young Lady by dejohnsrld (Debbie)

Letter to a Young Lady

 

Dear Young Lady,

 

You are now in elementary school. Your job is to learn your studies and the ways of the world. You should slowly gain responsibility for yourself, but not to be responsible for others. Your parents and relatives should be the responsible parties.

 

Your father taking ill and needing to be gone in no way gives your mother the right to lock herself in her room expecting you to raise your sister, clean the house and cook the meals. She is still the adult in the family and it is her place to act responsibly in raising you both.

 

Yes, even at your age you can tell she needs help. This is not your problem to solve. The more you do or say, the more responsibility you will be given. It is a one-way street. Once the door is open, it will not be closed again. The responsibility will continue to increase. Do not accept those not rightly yours or this will become your lot in life. Caretaking, which makes you feel good at first, generally leads to a downward spiral into depression. You did not cause this, and no matter how clean you keep your room, how well you behave, or how high your grades are, you cannot fix the situation.

 

Study, read, and enjoy life as much as able remembering you will one day be free from this situation. Do not let it make you bitter, angry or self-destructive. Be your authentic self, coping as best you can with problems that arise. This is just a small part of life, and your rewards will come later.

 

Be happy and

love yourself and others

~~~~*~~~~~


Recognized

Author Notes
Thanks to Angelheart for the lovely artwork 'Messenger of Love'

     

© Copyright 2024. dejohnsrld (Debbie) All rights reserved.
dejohnsrld (Debbie) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement