FanStory.com - The Conversationby justjo66
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My second attempt at script writing-1st was when I was 10yrs
The Conversation by justjo66

The Conversation
Characters: Jody-driver in her mid 60's with dyed brown short hair.
Aunt Ola-passenger. An older woman in her late 80's dressed in an orange Sherbet pleated dress with a magnolia pin on the large collar. Her hair is grey and thinning with blonde braids attached on top.

The scene begins with just a view of Jody driving down an open highway. No radio just the sound of the air conditioner and cars passing on the left.

Jody: (dressed in jeans and casual shirt has an expression of boredom) Wow! This road can get long and tiring. (She hums a little song to herself).

Aunt Ola: (Talks in a thick Southern accent). Yes, dear it surely can. I'm glad you decided to let me come along on your trip. Why, I can't remember the last time I went anywher'. Years ago I used to take Brother Howard's girls down to the coast in the summers but you know they're all grown up now and married. Why, that Loletta married an UNDERTAKER for God's sake! (her voice rising). I just never could understand my brother letting his children have anythang to do with the likes of anyone in that profession. (brushing the front of her dress of imaginary crumbs) Of course, when I was at Mississippi State I knew of a girl that married beneath her. Her daddy just never did get over it. Why, my papa, God rest his soul, would have NEVER let us girls marry anyone but lawyers or doctors.

Jody: (turning her eyes off the road briefly to talk) Is that why you never got married, Aunt Ola?

Aunt Ola: (Folding her arms) Of course not...I had a beau at one time. He was going to be a lawyer but he got killed in that Damm old war. I just couldn't dream of ever marrying anyone else. (Unfolding her arms and looking out the side window at some invisible image) Now your grandmother...why, she courted every boy in town. She was a wild one. I remember one time we took papa's new car and she drove it fast as she could down those hollows and hills. Why, I thought we'd be killed for sure. She was always a rounder. When we were just little girls she tried to stuff baby brother down the chimney playing Santa Claus. She had a mean streak, that one. Baby brother was only 2 years old...he would never fit down that chimney. I told mama on her and she got switched real good. You know she never did forgive me for that.

Jody: That's a shame you both were just kids. Did you ever want kids?

Aunt Ola: No, after Raymond, my beau died I never let myself think about things that weren't to be. I had all my nieces and nephews and that was enough. And of course, the poor white kids that came to the Health Dept. there in Jackson. I didn't want to stay at mamas and papa's after Raymond died so I became a county health nurse. It kept me busy. Then I went to work for the Veteran's hospital. I just wanted to help those poor soldier boys out any way I could. (shaking her head no) I shouldn't have lied to them, though.

Jody: Lied? How did you lie to them?

Aunt Ola: Well, I told them I was ten years younger than I really was. You know, I was a right pretty girl when I was young. I didn't have a birth certificate. I was born at home. So it was easy to do. Oh, I thought I was so clever at the time. But it made me work ten years longer before I could retire to my home in Moselle. I thought that day would never come. I always wanted to paint. I think you might have one of my paintings, dear? Now, your grandmother always thought she could paint. She wasn't worth a damm with her art but she did write a few good stories and poems. Young ladies in our day...that is any with culture, could paint or write poetry.

Jody: (nodding her head) Yes, I do have a picture of magnolias that you painted. (Smiles...thinking to herself...I wonder where I put that awful picture)

Aunt Ola: You know dear...it got lonely after a while. All you children grew up and moved away and only visited every now and then. Your grandmother she just never did like me very much especially after I told on her. Why , she would not even invite me to her home. You know after I fell and broke my hip...(whispering in a low voice) she never even came and visited me in the hospital. I was there so long.

Jody: I'm so sorry. I guess I never realized. I always thought you had everything. Your big two story Colonial house with all the beautiful antique furniture. You seemed so happy in your home.

Aunt Ola: I did love my home. It was a dream completed. However, it got lonely so many nights and days. When I finally got out of the hospital I was in that damm old wheelchair and with that old urine bag. I felt that was just the end of me. I didn't want any one's pity. I think everyone just thought I was okay since I was a nurse.

Jody: (looking over at Aunt Ola fixing her hair) maybe so, I always thought you were so talented and independent. Lots of people told me I was just like you. It used to make me smile.

Aunt Ola: (still fixing her hair) Why, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Why, child you are very sweet.
You know, I actually think your grandmother was jealous of me. There she was with all ten of those children and Ben never being home to help her. Yes, I know he had to work. But it must have been so very hard for her. She had always been the adventurous one. Wild and free that's what she always told me when we were just little girls. She wanted to be a lawyer. Did you know that?

Jody: Yes, my mother told me something about that. Daddy said she got sick or something and had to leave college.

Aunt Ola: Yes, dear she did. Lost all her hair and everything. It grew back in straight as a board, too. Of course, it was straight as a board before she lost it...but she kept telling me when it grew back it was going to be curly. Where she ever got that idea only the good Lord knows. (laughing). After she got well she got mixed up with that Harman boy. He was good for nothing but she couldn't see it. I think she thought he was going to marry her. Even after she had two of his children he still was a cad and wouldn't marry her. Why, I shouldn't tell you this but my papa paid your granddaddy to marry her.

Jody: What!

Aunt Ola: (her hand goes up over her mouth briefly) Oh, I might be telling too much. It is the truth. Your granddaddy was a sailor and only had met your grandmother once or twice. He got in jail down in Jackson and our papa got him out and Uncle Harold ,our family lawyer, took care of everything. The deal was he was to marry your grandmother and stop her from flouncing herself with that Harmon cad! Well, he did marry her and look how good it turned out. Married for over 50 years and all those children.

Jody: Wow, I don't know what to say. I guess I never really thought of my grandmother doing anything like that. She's so different now.

Aunt Ola: Well honey child...you just don't ever know what's behind the door. Speaking of behind the door. I think it's time for me to go dear.

Jody: (still looking down the road with hands on the wheel) I sure have enjoyed you coming along on this trip with me. (reaching over to pat Aunt Ola on the hand)

Aunt Ola: (suddenly disappears into thin air and Jody is left alone driving down the highway)

Jody: (begins humming a song)(stops and saying to herself) I sure do miss you Aunt Ola...wish I could have made it to your funeral. (begins humming again)


Author Notes
My first real attempt as an adult to write a script. Can use all the constructive help you can give. Thanks in advance. Thanks for the great picture SemiSarah. This is semi-biographical. I really do have an Aunt Ola who has passed away and my last trip to Mississippi and back while driving down the highway this script came to me. Most of the facts are true with exception of a few things. Poetic license invoked and I'd better not let my mother know I wrote this about my grandmother. LOL

     

© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement