FanStory.com - Part one, Chapter 12by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mrs. Rodgers' attorney calls Everett as a witness.
Lonely Hearts Meet
: Part one, Chapter 12 by barbara.wilkey

Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much?

CHAPTER TWELEVE

"Mr. Page, please tell us about your occupation." Mr. Brown, Mrs. Peggy Rodgers' attorney, stood in front of Everett.

"I'm a private investigator."

Anna let out the breath she'd been holding.

"Is your current employer in this courtroom?"

"Yes, he is."

Paul rose to his feet. "Your honor, the defense agrees Mr. Page works for me. We don't need to waste any more of the court's time."

The judge motioned for the attorney to continue.

Mr. Brown held up a document. "I'm wondering why you left the police force at the height of your career."

"Your honor, I don't see how that's relevant to this case," Paul said from the defendant's table.

"I plan on showing Mr. Page was previously charged with lying under oath and Mr. Sorenson defended him on these charges."

Paul stood. "Those charges were dropped when all the facts were known. He was set up, much like he's being set up right now."

"Or is he capable of getting over on the system?" The attorney turned. "Just a thought." The attorney set the file on the plaintiff's table. "It seems Mr. Sorenson even sent work your way to help your fledging PI business."

"I object. Your honor, this isn't relevant to the custody case before us." Paul turned toward his opponent.

"I agree. Mr. Brown, please continue." Judge Sawyer eyed the young attorney.

"Mr. Page, what is your opinion of the defendant?"

"She's an attractive young professional and a good mother."

"On Friday, October 7th, 2011 you were outside the Rainbow Daycare around three o'clock, correct?"

Everett nodded.

"You must answer the question. Whose request?"

"Yes, I was. At Mr. Sorenson's request."

"I want to know why Mr. Sorenson thought it necessary to pay you to sit outside this daycare center. When he asked you to pull surveillance there, what did he tell you were to look for?"

Everett glanced toward Paul. "My job was to ensure Michael Rodgers' safety. I was to make sure -."

"So even Mr. Sorenson was worried about Ms. Anna Rodgers' ability to choose a good daycare," interrupted Mr. Brown, turning around and pointing at opposing attorney.

Paul jumped up. "I object."

"Mr. Brown, you are not to testify. If you have a question, please ask it." Judge Sawyer gave him a warning glance.
"I wasn't finished." Everett glared at the plaintiff's attorney. "You interrupted before I could finish."

"Your honor, may I speak?" After Judge Sawyer acknowledged Paul, he continued, "I heard Mrs. Peggy Rodgers threaten Anna. If I'm not mistaken her exact words were; you're not going to get my grandson. I'll see you in Hell before you take Bobby's son from him. She spoke these words on the sidewalk in front of this very courthouse."

Mrs. Peggy Rodgers jumped up and shook her finger toward Paul. "Lies, I'd never put my grandson in danger! I want that man sued for slander!"

"Mr. Sorenson, you have been in my courtroom many times you know you can't testify."

Anna hung her head as tears rolled down her cheeks. I'm going to lose my son.

"Mr. Brown, refrain your client from making any further outburst. This is the final warning. Mr. Brown keep your opinion to yourself."

The PI glanced toward the judge. "Your honor, can I finish my sentence?" After the judge nodded, Everett paused before he continued, "Mrs. Peggy Rodgers threatened to take the child from the defendant. I was hired to ensure that didn't happen."

Brown stared at Mrs. Peggy Rodgers. "She looks like a loving grandmother to me. Not a child abductor. I bet she even makes chocolate chip cookies and apple pie."

Mrs. Peggy Rodgers nodded. "I do." She smiled and glared at Anna.

Paul stood. "Your honor, is there a point to this rant?"

Judge Sawyer gave Paul a warning glance before he said, "I'm wondering what your point is myself, Mr. Brown. Are you finished with the witness?"

"No, your honor. I have a few more questions." He turned toward Everett. "Where is the defendant currently living?"

"She rents an apartment where she lives with her son."

"I don't think you understood my question. Where did she and the child spend the past few nights?"

"Since the attempted abduction on Michael, they've been staying at the Sorenson's residence."

"It seems even Ms. Anna Rodger's attorney is worried that she's not capable of caring for her child by herself. Or maybe Mr. Sorenson had something else in mind by having a beautiful woman so close and available."

"Your honor, I emphatically object. I am not on trial here. I am only Anna Rodger's attorney. Mr. Page cannot possible testify about why I am doing anything."

The judge stood. "Mr. Brown, Mr. Sorenson is not a witness in this case and I will not permit such character assassination in my courtroom. One more inappropriate remark from you and I will hold you in contempt of court and report you to the bar. Either ask Mr. Page a question he can answer or finish with the witness."

"If Mr. Sorenson isn't worried about the minor child's safety, what other reason would he have for a young attractive female residing with him?"

Judge Sawyer banged his gavel. "Mr. Brown, do you have proof of any of these accusations?"

He shook his head. "But I feel there are many coincidences that we have no answers for and they should be addressed. We have a minor child's welfare to consider. I'd like to know how a young mother can afford the fees of the most respected attorney in central Texas. He's getting his payment somehow."

Paul stared at the young attorney. "Your honor, I object to this nonsense."

"Mr. Brown, do you have any relevant questions for this witness?"

"Yes, your honor. I have one more." He turned toward the PI. "Has Mr. Sorenson's son, Troy come for a visit while Michael and Anna are residing there?"

"Yes, he often comes for dinner."

"Does he hold and play with the child?"

"Yes, we all do."

Paul stood. "Your honor, is there a point to these questions?"

Brown turned toward Paul. "Yes, there is a point. Every time your son touches the minor child he's risking the child's life. Troy Sorenson is the carrier of a life-threatening blood borne pathogen. Isn't that right, Mr. Page?"

Recognized

Author Notes
Please note this is chapter 12 of a longer novel. I have described all of my characters in previous chapters.
As I was posting, I made some changes. I hope I didn't mess this post up too much. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
SAFE (stop abuse for everyone)
www.safe4all.org

National Domestic Violence Hotline (800)799-7233
Each state has it's own hotline number.

Hepatitis B is the most common serious liver infection in the world. It is caused by the
hepatitis B virus (HBV) that attacks liver cells and can lead to liver failure, cirrhosis or cancer of the liver. The virus is transmitted through contact with blood and
bodily fluids that contain blood.
Most people are able to fight off an hepatitis B infection and clear the virus from their
blood. This may take up to six months. While the virus is present in their blood, infected people can
pass the virus on to others.
Approximately 5-10% of adults, 30-50% of children, and 90% of babies will not get rid of the virus and
will develop chronic infection. Chronically infected people can pass the virus on to others and are at
increased risk for liver problems later in life.
The hepatitis B virus is 100 times more infectious than the AIDS virus. Yet, hepatitis B can be prevented
with a safe and effective vaccine. For the 400 million people worldwide who are chronically
infected with hepatitis B the vaccine is of no use. However, there are promising new treatments for
those who live with chronic hepatitis B.
In the World:
This year alone, 10 to 30 million people will become infected with the hepatitis B virus (HBV).
The World Health Organization estimates that 400 million people worldwide are already
chronically infected with hepatitis B.
HBV infection leads to over 1 million deaths each year.
In the US:
This year alone, 100,000 new people will become infected with HBV.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 1.25 million Americans are
already chronically infected with hepatitis B.
Between 5000 and 6000 Americans die of hepatitis B-related liver complications each year.
How is Hepatitis B Transmitted?
Hepatitis B is most efficiently transmitted through blood and infected bodily fluids. This can occur
through direct blood-to-blood contact, unprotected sex, illicit drug use, and from an infected woman to
her newborn during the delivery process.

Hepatitis B can be spread by
unprotected sex
sharing IV drug needles
living in a household with an infected person
an infected mother to her newborn child at birth
sharing earrings, razors, or toothbrushes with an infected person
unsterilized needles, including tattoo or piercing needles
human bites
Hepatitis B is not spread by
kissing on the cheek or lips
coughing or sneezing
casual contact such as hugging or holding hands
eating food prepared by an infected individual
People are most at risk for hepatitis B if they
are born to mothers who are infected with HBV
live in close household contact with a chronically infected individual
adopt a child from a country where HBV is prevalent
have unprotected sex or have more than one sexual partner in a six month period
have ever been diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease (STD)
men who have sex with men
share needles and syringes
are health care provider or emergency responder with possible contact with bodily fluids
are a patient on kidney dialysis
live or work in an institutional setting, such as a prison or group home
Can hepatitis B be prevented?
YES! Ask your doctor about the safe and effective vaccine and protect yourself and your
loved ones for a lifetime. The CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend
that all infants, children and adolescents up to age 18 receive the HBV vaccine. The
vaccine is also recommended for all adults who may be at high risk for infection.
The cost for the vaccine varies in the US, but most insurance plans cover infants and children
to 18 years of age. Some people can receive the vaccine free of charge from their local public
health clinic. High-risk adults may also be covered by their health insurance or can receive the vaccine
through an STD or family planning clinic.
Remember, it only takes three shots to provide a lifetime of protection!
Additional hepatitis B resources
Visit our website at www.hepb.org
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) hepatitis branch at www.cdc.gov/hepatitis
American Liver Foundation at www.liverfoundation.org
Immunization Action Coalition at www.immunize.org

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement