FanStory.com - Celebration of Lifeby bhogg
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Thoughts from a funeral of a young friend
Celebration of Life by bhogg
Works Inform Faith writing prompt entry

I ran late. The parking lot of the Church was overflowing. Adam was only sixteen when he died, but he must have touched many lives.

There were only a few seats left. Mine was next to some kids who looked to me about Adam's age. The young girl to my right was crying. At sixty-one, I've been to enough funerals to come prepared. I gave her a tissue.

The service began with a beautiful a cappella rendition of 'Amazing Grace', sung in Cherokee. The two young female singers were members of the school that Adam attended. This was Adam's favorite song. Listening to the well-known tune, but with haunting, unknown words, was surreal.

The pastor then announced that other members of Adam's school wanted to speak. Two separate groups of three came up. They shared stories of what Adam meant to them.

These young kids had the whole congregation in the palms of their hands. Lots of laughter, funny asides, and yes, some raw grief. Several times, they stopped, dried their tears, took a breath and continued. I know and appreciate the power of words. Never have I been able to grasp and share such emotion.

I'll have to revisit this Church, because I thought the pastor showed remarkably good judgment. I saw him fold his notes, say a few things to comfort the family, and end early. The kids had captured the essence of Adam. His goofy sense of humor, his warmth of character and his smile that could light a room; they shared it all. What more could have been said.

During my entire life, when at funerals, somewhere along the line someone remarked about them being a celebration of life.  I  never believed it--until now. Thanks be to God.




Writing Prompt
In under three hundred words, describe a recent incident in your life and how it reflects your faith. Any faith can be represented.

Recognized

Author Notes
Word count - 293. Here is a link to Amazing Grace, sung in Cherokee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYIjFtPQEk

     

© Copyright 2024. bhogg All rights reserved.
bhogg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement