FanStory.com - Where are you?by fionageorge
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Mother's Lament.
Where are you? by fionageorge



Where are you, child of my womb?
They wrenched you from my arms.
They took you because I am a coloured woman.
White men think I cannot be a good mother.
They say you need a home,
where you will learn their white cultures.
They do not see my tears, nor hear my wailing.
My heartbreak is intense.
How can a mother live,
without her flesh and blood?
Where are you, my dear child?
My arms ache to hold you.
My body aches to nourish you.
Alone, I feel so all alone.
My baby, my child, my life.

Recognized

Author Notes
I wrote this for the Free Verse Loneliness daily writing prompt, but forgot to reserve a spot - then bingo! No spots left. Prompt required free verse - 15 lines.

But I felt this is a story that needs to be told.
I extracted the below brief summary from the internet for background information:

One of the darkest chapters of Australian history was the forced removal of Aboriginal children from their families. Children as young as babies were stolen from their families to be placed in girls and boys homes, foster families or missions. At the age of 18 they were 'released' into white society, often scarred for life by their experiences.

Today these Aboriginal people are collectively known as the 'Stolen Generations' because several generations were affected.

Many Aboriginal people are still searching for their fathers, mothers and siblings.

My comments:
This doesn't happen now, and Kevin Rudd, in his first year as Prime Minister, publicly apologised to the 'stolen generation'. The pain and horror of this still affects many, not only those stolen, but the parents who had their children forcibly taken from them, in the very misplaced belief that their children would be better off brought up in white Australian culture. Many of these children were abused and tormented throughout their childhood. Truly a dark and black part of our history.

Read more: http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/politics/stolen-generations.html#ixzz0upfeI0Qo

Photo obtained from Stolen Generation Website.

     

© Copyright 2024. fionageorge All rights reserved.
fionageorge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement