FanStory.com - A Powerful Learning Toolby fionageorge
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Reviewers are a powerful learning tool.
A Powerful Learning Tool by fionageorge



This is not an essay about how to review the work of others; I am no expert. I'm still learning about the art of writing, let alone the art of reviewing.

This essay is to encourage newcomers (and the not-so newcomers) to FanStory to learn from those who take the time to review your work, especially those who give you constructive criticism.

Each reviewer has his or her own style, just like every writer, author and poet. At times, they may seem harsh. It is up to you to take from each review what is relevant to you.

If a review is based on an opinion about subject matter, and the reviewer rates you down because he or she does not agree with your opinion, ignore it. Thank them for the time, and get over it.

If a review is purely based on technical points, take note. But again, realise that your writing is more than a technical piece, be it a novel, short story or poem. See what you can learn from the advice given. Don't take ratings to heart, but read the comments.

I have received five ratings, but at the same time, the reviewer has criticised some aspect of the work. Generally, if a reviewer believes the work can be improved, they should not give you a five rating. You will not improve your writing by believing you can't improve. Each and every one of us can improve our skills.

Some reviewers are generous; others are stringent in applying the rating. Read the comments for what they are worth, and take from them what you can.

I joined FanStory in September 2009, looking for an avenue to post a novel, and to receive feedback. I had for a long time thought I would one day like to write a novel, and was also interested in short story writing. But I had no idea if I had what it takes. I thought I might have some talent, but that wasn't sufficient. I needed to have my writing critiqued, to give me direction.

I learned quickly that FanStory is a great and powerful learning tool. There are professional reviewers, and published writers. There are brilliant authors, writers and poets, who will willingly share their experience and advice with you.

I had never tried poetry before joining FanStory. But it looked like fun, and I thought I would give it a go. I soon found out I had a lot to learn! There is so much more to poetry than rhyming a few words!

I was quite pleased with the first poem I wrote. The first review I received was a four star. Yes! I thought, I can write poetry. The reviewer told me my meter was out, and that some of the rhyme was not right.

I send a message back, asking 'What is meter?'

The reviewer responded with advice and encouragement, thus started my learning curve.

Sometimes you may receive a review which is destructive instead of constructive. Take it in your stride. That's life. Get over it, and continue writing.

You know you can write, but like all of us, you can always improve. And what better way to improve than to use this site and the wonderful people who are willing to give of their time and skills, their experience and their talents. Be a like sponge, soak it up and learn from them.

You may be pleasantly surprised at the improvement to your writing.


Recognized

Author Notes
Thanks again to Angelheart for the appropriately titled 'Out of the Clouded Mind'. It is stunning, as is all her work.

I thank all those on FanStory who have, and still are, teaching me the art of writing. I cannot name each one individually, but you all know who you are. Also, for your friendship and encouragement. Each one of you is unique and special in your own way, and I thank you for taking me under your collective wings. I look forward to receiving more advice as my journey continues. Thank you from my heart.

     

© Copyright 2024. fionageorge All rights reserved.
fionageorge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement