FanStory.com - Unidentified Flying Objectby Janilou
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
If there's life on other planets . . .
Unidentified Flying Object by Janilou
Christian Fiction

                                                                                                                     










  "We Come In Peace"


The message hung in the early morning sky like a fog unwilling to be burned away by the rising sun.  Sarah rubbed her eyes, as several silver spaceship orbs descended through the clouds. If not for the fighter jets circling the intruders, she might never have believed. 


The bird seed she'd planned to use in the feeder poured onto the frost-covered lawn. Dropping the bag, Sarah ran inside and reached for the phone. "Hank, I'll be right there. You've seen it, right? Okay, I'll do that." 

Grabbing her press-card badge, which lay beside her Bible, Sarah paused only long enough to pick up her camera, before heading out the door. The words were still there.

It's like one of those old Sci-Fi movies. Sheesh. We come in peace? What kind of comfort is that?  


They met at the door of their office. Hank looked pale. "Hurry up, we're driving to Washington. Apparently the aliens have already made contact with the President, and the Armed Forces."

"Wow! They chose America?"

"Don't flatter us too much. Chatter on the international lines says they've made contact with the Queen, the Prime Minister of Britain, Australia and the President of France, as of six this morning."

Sarah wrinkled her nose. "Why aren't we taking the helicopter?"

Hank grimaced. "Remember 9-11? The powers-that-be have shut down the skies. Not even Air-Force One is in the sky."

"I guess they never dreamed of a threat like this." Sarah tried to imagine just what the Commander-in-Chief would do, faced with the imminent threat of an alien invasion. She took the helmet Hank offered and climbed onto the bike behind him.

The roads were almost deserted. Two hours later they arrived in Washington, DC. to find a small group of press standing on the White House lawn, taking photos of the message still hanging in the air.

Hank grimaced. "Where is everyone?" 

One of the reporters looked up from his camera. "Hiding. Not that it's going to do them any good. We're done for."

"Why do you guys all assume they're the enemy? Maybe they really have come in peace. They took the time to learn our language."

"The message appears in whatever language is native to the country it appears over," the reporter said, adjusting his lens.

Four fighter jets roared overheard, sending chills scrambling down Sarah's back. As they stood watching the smoke plumes circle the message, a shimmering beam of light materialized on the lawn.

"God help us," Hank said, as all eyes turned to watch the aliens appear.
 
The message in the clouds transformed to read:

"Please do not harm us. We have come to communicate, not fight. We are a peaceful people, looking only for friendship." 

One alien stepped forward, looked at Sarah, and nodded in greeting.

Sarah stared. "You look like us. You're human?"

The alien smiled. "We call it something else on Planet Javard, but it appears we have the same life-form, yes. Where are your leaders? We wish to speak with them."

"I'm sure they'll be here soon." Sarah could hear the footsteps of approaching troops behind her now.  She swallowed hard, trying to clear her thoughts. 

"My name is Fandir." The alien extended his hand. 

"You have certainly spent a lot of time learning our customs," Sarah said, noticing his firm grip, and wondering if she was dreaming for the zillionth time. 

"It is a 'custom' here on Planet Earth also? To greet with a handshake? We still have much to learn. We do not know anything about your people or your planet. By scanning the satellites in your atmosphere, we learned your languages, but little else. Our computers spent years translating, so we would be able to communicate."

Fandir touched the necklace on his chest and Sarah noticed his lips moving as he glanced up at the sky.

"Calling for backup?" Hank whispered.

"I'm not sure," Sarah said, staring at the Y-shaped symbol hanging from Fandir's necklace.

Fandir looked at Sarah. "You are wondering what this is?" he said, holding it up.

"You can read our minds?"

He smiled. "No, only your face. You looked curious, as you say."

His gaze panned the soldiers now surrounding him and his companions. "We mean you no harm. Our planet is bigger than your earth, and healthy. We've learned to use light for all our energy needs, and come only in search of knowledge."

Hank touched Sarah's shoulder. "I think we should move away. The soldiers, they're armed."

 "Wait." She looked at Fandir. "Okay, I am curious. What is it?"

"I believe your people would call it 'stauros', a torture stake and . . . ."

Goosebumps covered Sarah's arms. "Go on, please, Fandir."

 "Almost two thousand years ago, Lamb was born on our planet."

Hank snorted. "Lamb? You have sheep on this 'earth' of yours?"
 
Fandir shook his head. "No, forgive me. I do not know how you will receive this news, and I struggle to find the right words in your language." He paused, and took a deep breath." Lamb was the name of the being who came to live amongst us. Our people feared Him, for He claimed to be the Son of God. They arrested him under false charges, tortured and put him to death by nailing Him onto the stauros. Three days later, He rose from the dead. He died to give us eternal life. This is a symbol of the empty stauros; that we might not forget His love for us."

Sarah covered her mouth as Hank exclaimed, "Sweet Jesus."

Fandir's eyes lit up like stars in the evening sky. "Our computer told us you have words in your language that match the descriptions of Lamb. Is it true? This 'Jesus' as you call Him; was He Lamb? Has He been here too?"

Sarah's eyes brimmed with tears. She smiled and touched the cross on her own neck, as the soldiers around them lowered their weapons. 

"Oh, yes, He's been here. Welcome to Earth, brother."


Recognized

Author Notes
This story has been hanging around in my mind, gathering cobwebs, and I wanted to clean out the attic before winter! :-)

Larry Norman's song, Unidentified Flying Object, included a line that went like this > ". . . and if there's life on other planets, then I'm sure that He must know, and He's been there once already, and has died to save their souls."
I believe it is true.
Larry went home to be with his Savior on February 24, 2008.

     

© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement