FanStory.com - The Sparrow And The Saviorby Janilou
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
For the least of these, He cares. This is for you.
The Sparrow And The Savior by Janilou
    Contest Winner 

Do you know how much He loves you?














The songbird shuts her eyes tight, as the bough dips and sways in the wind. Helpless to prevent the destruction of the storm, she crouches over the chicks, spreading her wings in a vain effort to protect the featherless babes from death's embrace. 

Strong winds tear at the tree, and in the time it takes to chirp, her nest is gone. Streaming from the fork of the branch, a single strand of dried grass is all that's left of her craftsmanship. Clinging to the branch with frail claws, she cries out for her babies, but they are gone.

A wind gust snatches her from the branch and she falls in a spinning bundle of feathers to the forest floor. With her last remnant of strength, she calls His name and He is there.

Soothing hands lift her from the damp ground, cradling her weary heart and soothing her pain. Resting her tiny head against His chest, she feels her strength restored and warmth spreading through her chilled bones. A new song, His song, fills her heart, and even as the storm tarries, she launches from His hands, coming to rest on a sheltered branch nearby. 

Bright eyes shine with love as she watches Him walk away. Her warbling praise fills the forest around her, as she sings of her love for the Creator.



Scattered across the rocks, a few crumbs are the only sign of food. A steady trail of black ants streams across the rough surface in single file as they carry the life-saving nourishment back to their underground home. The rocks begin to hum and the ants stop. Each shiny black head looks up and listens as He steps over their home and kneels by a mound covered by yellow, red and brown leaves.

Wake up, son. You must stand up and be found. Your rescuers are nearby. 

The mound trembles and a wide-eyed human child sits upright, blue eyes brimming with tears. Glancing up at the stars, he peers around the darkness. "Jesus, are You still here with me?"

I am here, son. Look across the valley. Do you see the search lights?

Leaping to his feet, the boy lifts a trembling arm. "Th-there they are!" Licking cracked lips, he cries out, "Here I am! Over here! Up here!"

Lights swing around in the darkness and an answering shout echoes up the valley. "This way! I hear him. He's alive!"

 "Thank you, Jesus," the boy says to the stillness around him.

Be blessed. Remember Me.

Tears forge a pathway through the dirt on the lost boy's cheeks.  "I will."

He wonders while he waits. Is his father angry at him for wandering off? He's certain his mother is crying. Will they believe him if he tells them about the voice he heard while he was lost in the wilderness?

The rescue crew reaches him. Shouts of thanksgiving and praise fill the mountain air. The boy is safe. They are leaving the mountain now, and the rocks grow silent.

Unseen by the souls of earth, He kneels by the tiny insects who gaze upon His face and bow before Him.
 
The ants return to their hidden storerooms, and find them overflowing with food for the coming winter. They sing songs of His goodness to their antlings.




Far across the land, in a jungle of steel and concrete, a small kitten is lifted out from under a cardboard box, and returned to her mother's cozy hiding place under the steps in back of a large building. He strokes her calico coat and her eyes shine with love. Purring, the mother cat washes the kitten's head and the feet of her Creator.



Inside the same building, a different mother paces the floor and prays for her son. She hesitates long enough to wipe perspiration from her forehead, and resumes her course like a lioness trapped in a steel cage.

Code Blue, Code Blue, Room 407, Room 407. All available staff please report immediately. I repeat . . . . 

The sounds of the dying are drowning her hope. Fear claws at her heart, and she starts to cry. 

Sinking to the floor, she hides her face in her hands. "I need You, Jesus. We both need you."

Kneeling, the Savior takes the trembling woman in His arms. 

My little girl. 

Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes and sets her burdens at His feet. "Please take this from me, Jesus."

I already have.

"I can't do this alone, Jesus."

You have Me, dearheart. You will never be alone.

She looks up as a man's face appears around the corner of the door frame. 

"Your son is in the recovery room. Would you like to see him for a few moments?"

Scrambling to her feet, she follows the male nurse from the room.

Standing by her unconscious child, she strokes his hair as her Savior whispers the words of her favorite song to her soul with love.
 
There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears* . . . I promise.

He smiles as her lips move in silent prayer. 

You're welcome.                                                        




                                                                                     **************

He feels your pain. 

He knows your needs.

You're never alone, not ever. 

In your time of greatest need, call His name and He is with you. 

In your deepest sorrow, He holds you. 

He never turns His back on you.

He rejoices with you.

Do you know how much He loves you? 

Yes, you. 

More precious than sparrows and all the wonders of creation.

He is with you now.

Sing His praises!

And let the rocks remain silent for one more day.


Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes



*Lyrics by Jeremy Camp from his single, "There Will Be A Day."

That's right, I'm preaching to the choir here, because I want to. ;-) Let me know if this needs tweaking. I know you will, bless your hearts. I am tired and heading to bed, but will correct any mistakes asap in the morning.

The Bible says God cares about His creation so much, not even a sparrow falls to the ground unless it is His will. Jesus told the Pharisees that if His followers didn't shout God's praise, the very rocks would cry out.

(I believe all of creation knows its Creator. If even the rocks know him, then they must.)


In Jesus' time, Jewish children caught sparrows to sell in the marketplace. Jesus used the sparrow to illustrate the love of God for the persecuted, saying, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will...Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows" (Mt 10:28-31; see also Lk 12:4-7).

Jesus answered the Pharisees by saying, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:40)

     

© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement