FanStory.com - A New Challengeby Jesse James Doty
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A personal quest
A New Challenge by Jesse James Doty

 

Amid my constant severe pain, I am rising to a new challenge.

After suffering two neck injuries, I am left with extreme pain in my neck and throughout my spine.  The pain radiates down my left arm to my left hand.  And of course, I am left-handed.

I find I can barely write with my left hand, so more and more, I am turning to my laptop to write what is on my mind and in my heart.

The new challenge I am facing is my dependence.  Dependence on paid caregivers who offer more than anything, companionship.

When Grace went away temporarily I decided to take care of myself for a change.  At first, it was scary, and I didn’t know if I could do it. But after the first successful try, I began to look forward to my time alone.

I shared this enthusiasm with my friends, and they were ecstatic for me. Every shift, when I was in charge, I loved the idea of caring for myself. I became my own companion.

I would carefully choose a CD from my collection, lie down on my couch, and listen intently to the beautiful music. I also have audiobooks to listen to and enjoy. This has been one hell of a journey.       

I am rising to a new challenge. Proud to be who I am.


Recognized

Author Notes
I hope my surgery date is soon. I am excited, and I know that my life will be changed, in a good way, forever.
Thanks for reading.

     

© Copyright 2024. Jesse James Doty All rights reserved.
Jesse James Doty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement