FanStory.com - A Ring of Truth by June Sargent
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short story for the empty house contest
A Ring of Truth by June Sargent
This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry
Artwork by meg119 at FanArtReview.com

The house was empty. I was glad I had the opportunity to explore when no one was around.
 
I took the ring off my finger right away and put it in my skirt pocket.  The day I bought the ring at an estate sale, I had no idea it had the power to transport me back to the time of its owner.
 
The first time it happened I was freaked out!  I only walked around the garden.  I didn't dare go into the house.
 
The young woman who sold it to me said it had belonged to the owner of the estate - it was her wedding ring.  She had been happily married for 15 years - then her husband just disappeared one day.  There was talk that he had run off with a younger woman.
 
I was looking at the photos on the wall when I heard voices upstairs. I hid behind a Japanese screen, as they were coming down the stairs.
 
I recognized her from the photos - it was Alice, the owner of the ring!  
 
"Edgar, are you sure they'll never find my husband's body?"
 
"Alice, I assure you - I have disposed of the body in a careful and most creative way.  I'm more than just a gardener.  And I am looking forward to taking art classes in Paris with my share of the insurance money.  I have a lot at stake here, too.
 
By the way, your cherry tree should bloom beautifully next spring."
 
I was horrified by what I heard!  Through the years, the family never suspected foul play.  Alice's husband didn't run away with a lover - he had been murdered!  
 
I didn't need to hear anymore.  I put the ring back on my finger and I was back in my living room within seconds.
 
What should I do?  Who should I tell?  Would anyone believe me?
 
I decided to go back to the estate to get more information on Alice's husband.  The woman who sold me the ring was there.
 
"No, I don't know much more about the missing husband.  I'm sorry."
 
As we walked by the garden, I saw a huge cherry tree.  I asked how old the tree was.  
 
"I think Alice's dad planted it when he built the house.  Funny thing, the tree was never a great bloomer.  It stayed alive all these years, but suddenly came into full bloom the day Alice passed away. "

My skin began to crawl at the thought - I wonder if the gardener ever went through with his plans to study art in Europe. 
 
Either way, I returned the ring for a refund.  I didn't want to know anymore about a possible murder. Let someone else discover the truth.
 
Meanwhile, a young couple came up to us and asked about the wedding ring in the display case inside the house.  
 
"My fiancé and I are visiting from Paris.  My grandfather used to work here as a gardener a long time ago!  
 
We noticed a wedding ring inside - could we have a closer look?  My fiancé would love to try it on!"
 

 

     

© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement