Romance Fiction posted April 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...72 73 -74- 75... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana's story is shared with Anderson's family.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zweiundzwanzig part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Silence followed, as Susan studied Shana for a few moments. "I have a feeling our boldness is intimidating, right dear?" She patted her son's arm. "Drew, please tell us what happened," and then she addressed Shana, "Feel free to add at any time."

"I doubt she'll add anything. I haven't heard her speak. She was silent all the way home." Zachery tilted back in his chair and the front legs lifted off the floor.

"She spoke when she entered the room." Michael smiled. "My wife's probably right, she usually is. Sorry, we've been abrupt. Besides, Zack, you probably never stopped talking so she could speak. Drew?"

Anderson leaned over Shana, touched her arm, and whispered, "Is it okay if I start at your sixteenth birthday and the trip to Germany?"

"I think it would be best."

"Will do."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 22 part 3

After he returned to his seat, Anderson put his hands together and nodded at Shana before he began, "For Shana's sixteenth birthday her great-grandparents and grandparents took her to Germany. They visited the cities where her ancestors grew up. They, also, went to Munich where her family left their artwork with Uncle Tomas. During the Kristallnacht, Tomas was captured and forced to Dachau. There he died. The artwork was pilfered." Again, he nodded at Shana.

"Fast forward to March of this year. Shana's a high school English teacher and over spring break she and a girlfriend explored New York City. One of their stops was the city's art museum. There, Shana saw the 'Winter-Traum' one of her family's stolen artwork. She asked the museum's curator what she would need to do to prove the painting belonged to her family. He told her what documents were needed. A little over a week ago she brought the said paperwork to the curator. He called Kuznetsov and told him of the challenge to his ownership." After Anderson released a big breath, he added, "That's how we got here. When I called Sunday, I think I filled you in on everything since then."

Susan smiled. "Dear, I'm glad you're here and safe, but it's so dangerous getting in a perfect stranger's car."

"I realize that now, but at the time, instinct told me that I needed to get away from those men." Shana's cheeks tinged pink. "I obviously made a good decision. God was in charge."

"Well Dad, how's that for a story? As good as you anticipated?" Zachery grinned.

"It's interesting. Why is Kuznetsov so upset over this painting? He doesn't even know if the authorities are going to decide in your favor." Michael clasped his hand together.

"I don't know," answered Shana. "I no longer want the painting. It's not worth all of this. Drew had my..." she shook her head, "our...his lawyer contact Kuznetsov and tell him that I'm not interested in pursuing it."

"He didn't answer but a relative of Jane, who works for NYC police department, heard chatter about a hit put out on us." Anderson tapped the arms of his chair.

Both hands covered Susan's mouth. "Oh my! Michael, did you know that?" After he nodded, she asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I figured you'd find out soon enough, and you did."

"I'm so sorry; I've brought all of this upon your family." As tears streamed down her cheeks, Shana got up and choked. "Excuse me."

Anderson jumped up but paused at the door. "I'll be back."

"Go. You're needed. We'll talk later." Michael stood.

Following the hall toward Shana's room, Anderson muttered, "Where'd she go?" He knocked on the door. "Shana, open up." When she didn't answer, he continued, "I'm coming in." He opened the door. The room was empty. This can't be good. Maybe she's lost.

As Anderson walked back down the hall, his phone rang. He smiled as he listened. "Thank you, Oscar. She doesn't belong to me, but she is with me. I'll be right there." When he walked to the front porch, a guard waved his hand and he waved back. "This seat looks vacant." Anderson sat in a large wooden rocker. "Do you mind if I take it?"

"No."

"It's not safe for you to be out here by yourself."

"I understood you brought me to Texas because Emily and I could come outside. I know you have the house securely guarded."

"I do. You still need to let us know when you want to be outside."

"Sorry." Shana paused. "It seems I can't do anything right." She wiped an escaped tear. "I just wanted to surprise Grandma by getting the painting back. I never imagined it would cause this much trouble. Now, I've messed up your life and your family's. Your parents hate me."

"My parents don't hate you. They're concerned about your well-being." When Shana started to speak, Anderson put up his hand. "Don't worry about our business. It's going to be just fine. We've been through threats before and know exactly how to handle it. Not everybody is in favor of large oil companies."

Michael and Susan stepped on the porch. Susan smiled. "I'm glad you're all right. We started to worry."

"I'm sorry. I needed some fresh air." Shana touched Anderson's arm.

He reached over and patted her hand.

"I was thinking about roasting a hog and having a celebration for dinner tomorrow evening." Michael grinned.

"Dad, Shana's Jewish. She doesn't eat pork."

"Oh." Michael thought. "Then we'll smoke a brisket, hell two or three briskets. This is Texas and we do like our beef." His eyes met Shana's. "You do eat beef, right?"

After Shana nodded, Anderson stood. "We've had a busy day. I think we should call it a night. Tomorrow we need to discuss living arrangements." He put out his hand for Shana to take, "I'll walk you to your room," and then faced his parents. "I'll be right back and we can talk."

Shana hesitated at her bedroom door. "Drew, are these walls soundproof?"

"I don't think so, why?" Before she could answer, Anderson continued, "Don't worry about the nightmares. I'll be just down the hall." He pointed to a door. "If I hear anything, I'll be right there."

Zachery came down the hall. "Is there a problem?"

"No," Shana rushed the answer as she studied her feet.

"I'll see you in the morning." Anderson touched Shana's cheek with his finger and mouthed, "Everything will be fine." He joined Zachery, and they left together.






Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of porch rocking chairs. This is a little longer than usual. I hope you don't mind. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.