General Fiction posted April 17, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A young girl becomes lost in a forest.

Lost Child

by Beck Fenton

Lost - Flash Fiction Contest Winner 

I grew up in logging camps. My ma was the cook for 30 loggers and me. They all slept side-by-side in a huge tent while Ma and I had a tiny little tent all to ourselves. I helped her as soon as I was tall enough to see over the dishpan to rinse the plates and utensils. I loved helping her.

Ma taught me my letters and the loggers would bring me a book to read on their off days spent in town, leaving their cash in the closest bars. By the time I was ten I had discovered worlds that existed side-by-side with mine. Places like Narnia and Wonderland. The Wizard of Oz was my favorite. One day I decided to follow the yellow-brick road to meet the wizard. I followed the road of yellow Trout lilies until I stopped to rest on an inviting rock. That's when I realized how late it was.

I hadn't paid much attention to how far I had walked into the woods, and the sun was hidden by the tall trees. It was almost supper-time and I had no idea where the camp was or even which direction to start. I felt tears starting and for the first time in my life, I felt despair. I cried for the loss of me to my mother, to the loggers who would never see me again, for the worlds still left to read about. Finally, I stopped crying, blew my nose on the hem of my skirt, and tried to stop hiccupping.

I had worn only my blouse and skirt when I set out and I was getting chilled. I decided I'd try to follow the flowers back and at least keep warm that way. I started hollering every once in a while, but there was never any answer. By the time it got too dark to see the flowers my teeth were chattering so I lay down underneath a huge pine tree and covered myself with pine needles.

Birdsong woke me just before dawn. I heard the squirrels chittering at me telling me to get out of their forest. I was cold and hungry but alive, so I brushed off the needles and climbed the pine as high as I could. I could see smoke to the south and I almost slid down that tree as I hurried to reach the ground. I made my way through thickets of brush and over fallen logs. I would holler every once in a while and finally heard an answer. I raced to jump into the arms of my favorite logger, Jimmy. He blew his whistle three times to let the others know I was safe and I teared up again as I heard the answering whistles.

Eventually, Jim and I were married. I carried a bouquet of Trout lilies.


















Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story under 500 words about being lost

Lost - Flash Fiction
Contest Winner

Recognized


It took many years to grow back the beautiful Vermont forests after over-logging decimated the woodlands by 1900.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cakemp55 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Beck Fenton All rights reserved.
Beck Fenton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.