Fantasy Fiction posted April 6, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joshua is taken to the mountain fortress by Augdon

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

The War Room

by Roxanna Andrews


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
A boy is born to a woman who was put out of her village as a baby because she was believed to be cursed. She has a child that was seen in a vision 100 yrs before saving his people from a evil horde.
Augdon escorted Joshua inside the fortress, then took him to a large room. "This is the War Room," he said as he held the door for him.

The room was paneled in dark wood. Openings had been cut into the back wall to let the sun in. A huge fireplace took up one wall and on another a map.Two long tables with benches on either side occupied the middle of the room and beside them stood fifteen men.

"These men are my generals." Augdon introduce Joshua to each. He listened only a little as they move from man to man, for his mind already tired, found it hard to concentrate. He felt over whelmed.

Joshua had never seen men like these. They were massive and he had an unearthly feeling that he had stepped into a forest and was surrounded by huge oaks.

The men's ages Joshua could not guess, he just knew they were much older than he. Some were dark haired, some white haired like him, many had scars. One man had burn scars on the side of his face and arm. Joshua learned he was Augdon's son-in-law.

Two men had black skin, dark as ebony. On each cheek were three scars in a straight line, one on top of another. Their hair was twisted into tight locks and covered in a red mud. Joshua had never seen the like and could not help but stare.

"They come from a distant land. They are Nubian. Jafari and Agapos are mighty warriors as are all their men, and we have learned, most precise with the bow."

Each man shook Joshua's hand as he passed by, and it ached when done.

"We will tell you all you need to know and what lies ahead. Not all tonight, but some."

Augdon ordered food and drink be brought to Joshua. The men settled themselves around a table and Augdon told his story as Joshua ate.

"My grandfather, Valdig and his family came here from across the sea to this new land. His father had been told of great riches to be found here, but all he found was hard work in the opal minds. When a  youth, Valdig had a vision. In it he saw an evil horde moving across the land, destroying all in its path. My grandfather saw a fortress in the midst of a purple mountain range and a vast army amassing there to fight the horde."

"His father being a bitter man, said it was foolishness and discouraged talk of it. But the vision came to him again and again. As a man Valdig was a great warrior and Captain. He led his men in battle and  defeated an enemy. He was a hero to his people and greatly loved. His father was jealous of him and one night in a drunken rage, he tried to take Valdig's life. To defend himself, Valdig mortally wounded his father who died two days later. But before he died, he begged his son's forgiveness and told him he believed in his vision. He told him to build the fortress. Valdig's men agreed to go with him and take their familes."

"It was a long journey, and took some years. Many children were born along the way adding to their numbers. When the mountain range came into view the men looked to him. They had seen many mountains, but none were right. Valdig agreed they had found it and the people were greatly relieved. He was sure many did not believe in his vision any longer. He could not blame them after so long, but there was feasting and music that night."

"The  people settled in the valley below the mountains while Valdig and his men went on. At the foot of the range, they found an overgrown path up the center most mountain. When they reached the top, they found a fortress already standing. My grandfather had thought all this time he had been called to build it, but now he knew he had been called to build an army. The fortress was ancient but still solid. He and his men made repairs, built barracks and outbuildings and cleared the path up the mountain. When all was ready, the people came here to live. I was born here. We have added much to the fortress since those days."

Augdon leaned in toward Joshua, "Valdig saw a youth who would come to lead the army he built. That youth is you."

"How do you know I am the one?" Joshua asked, though in his heart he knew the answer.

"Valdig drew this of the face in his vision." Augdon's son-in law, Brock, handed him a parcel wrapped in cloth. He removed the cloth and handed the contents to Joshua.

"My grandfather knew not how to draw, but was able to do this. He spent much time on it, making the inks from different plants."

Joshua gazed at the portrait. It was a youth, white haired, with violet eyes. He knew it was of him, but he had never seen a true reflection of himself. only a water reflection.

"I know the eyes are mine," he said.

 Augdon sent Brock out and a moment later he returned with a piece of fine silver, highly polished. He held it up for Joshua to look into. He saw the face of the youth in the portrait.

All eyes in the room were on him. It was silent as if every men held their breath. Joshua nodded, but his head was spinning. He suddenly felt a huge weight of responsibility settled upon him. How was he to lead these battle proven warriors, men who stood like massive trees, who were older and more experienced than he?

"Do not look so forlorn. You will not do this alone. We are with you. We together," Augdon hand swept the room, "will teach you all you need to know. You have an army and generals ready to follow you."

Joshua looked again at the men in the room. Didn't he know in his heart he was destined for this? Hadn't he seen the vision himself and wondered at it? He had been but a youth, so thought it just a dream. But now it came back clearly and he understood. This was why he had been born.

"How do you know the horde is coming?" he asked.

"My scouts found them two years ago. We have watched them ever since. They conquer a village, stay there  for a time, then burn it, killing all the inhabitants, or make them slaves, and move on. We wished to find their vulnerabilities, but they have few. Life means nothing to them, they send wave after wave of men into battle caring not if they die. They use their horrible black beast to fly over the villages, spitting fire. They consume village after village, leaving nothing but smoke and ash. They pile up the bodies of the dead and burn them also. It is a horrible sight."

"You have witnessed these things for yourself?" Joshua asked Augdon.

He nodded. "Much of what I have seen I will never forget. They are a loathsome plague. They do not even look like men. They make their hair blue and it stands on end, they also smear it all over their faces and bodies. They fight in just a loincloth and boots. They pour out of trenches they dig in the ground like locust devouring the land. I have seen the black beast they use tear the heart from a man's body and feast on it."

"Why have you not battled them before now? Why wait so long?"

"They far out numbered us. We didn't have the men to fight. There was no hope of winning the battle. We have been adding to our numbers. The Nubians joined us a year ago. Their leader had the vision also. Jafari said God had sent them."

The men nodded."Our king saw a blue horde decend upon our land." said the one called Agapos. "He saw the purple mountain range and fortress and the army gathering there. He knew we had to come and fight or the blue horde would come to our shores. He sent half his army."

"And we had to wait until the time was right. We were waiting for you." Aurgon said this as he stood to his feet.

"We have talked enough for this day. The sun is low. We will have evening meal and get an early start in the morning. It will be Joshua's first day to train. He will need much rest tonight." The men nodded and bid him goodnight.

Augdon showed Joshua where he would stay. He had a room to himself. "We thought for now, you should have a dwelling that was your own. Later you may wish to move into the common room with the other warriors. You may join my family for supper tonight."

Joshua politely declined the offer of a meal. His head was aching and he was exhausted. After Augdon left him he fell into bed and was asleep immediately, his dreams filled with battles and dragons spitting fire.

The next morning, Joshua watched as the men fought mock battles in the fields below his room. Their number seemed endless. But most astounding to him were the women who fought along side the men. He had never seen women in battle, none who could wield a sword as these females could.

"We need everyone to fight and the women are eager to do so. They are as brave as any man and as skilled with sword and bow," Augdon told him.

Joshua learned that one of the best was Augdon's daughter, Fay, wife to Brock. He watched as she wielded a sword in both hands and screamed like a banshee. The man she fought fell back and with a sweep of her leg, she knocked him off his feet.

Augdon smiled and turn to Joshua. "She is much like her father." 

Joshua was taken to the training grounds but he protested, thinking himself most skilled with sword and bow. "All this I have learned already in Wahaland. My uncles taught me well. I am one of the best warriors among my Clan."

Augdon smiled. "That is good thing, but you must learn to fight like a Guardian. You must learn to fight on the back of a dragon."

He was turned over to his trainer, Jatte. His name meant 'giant' and it was most fitting, but his comrades had given him an opposing nickname and called him Liten, which meant "tiny."

After a few days of training, Joshua could think of many other names to call Jatte.

He soon realized he knew nothing about using a sword as the mountain men bested him time and again. He was often frustrated and angry with himself over his inability to win a match. He did not lose well.

"Do not be so hard on yourself," Jatte would advise him. "It was this way for us all. You will learn. It takes much time to become a master swordsman. Be patient."

Augdon told him this also, but Joshua had no patience with himself. He often woke earlier than the others and worked with the heavy weights the men used to build muscle. He would run for miles as much to rid himself of his frustration as to build up his stamina. He practiced hours with his sword and bow.

As time passed he began to win matches, as was natural for a champion, and with each win he gained confidence.




The Nubian people were located in what is now Egypt. They were known for their skin, not sure why as my research didn't say which was most annoying. Though later in their history they became farmers and agriculturist, in earlier times they were known to be deadly with a bow and arrow because of their precision. I don't know that they wore red mud in their hair, I added that, but pictures of ancient nubians do show the hair looked to have twisted locks. They are a beautiful people. They were considered extremely intelligent and gifted at pottery and artwork.

Augdon-Army Captian
Brock-General, Augdon's son-in-law
Fay-Augdon's daughter, wife to Brock
Jatte- Joshua's trainer
Valdig-Augdon's great grandfather
Joshua-champion
Agapos-Nubian general
Jafari-Nubian general
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.