General Non-Fiction posted March 30, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Adult children telling us what really happened

The New Branch

by jusylee72


The New Branch

Yesterday, I became the great-aunt of a beautiful little girl, Amelia. I know she will treasure our family tree with a branch full of cherry blossoms.

Her father is Jeff Hutchins, my amazing nephew. I have many stories to tell, yet today I will only tell my favorite.

Pam and John are Jeffery's parents. My sister has always been a logical but spiritual leader in my life. During one of the worst moments of my life, Pam arranged for a mover to come to Austin, Texas, take all my belongings and move me and my children to San Antonio. Then along with my mother, she helped set me up in an apartment close to her house and help me through my new struggles as a single parent.

Jeff, Pam's youngest son, was a challenge. He was stubborn and strong-willed from the moment he was born. My son Nik, also was strong-willed but quiet. They were very close in age and soon became best friends.

When Nik was with Jeff, he seemed happier, stronger and more willing to find the good side of life.

Pam invited us to her house that Halloween.  My two youngest, Mandy and Matthew, went trick or treating. Nik and Jeff ran off together and we assumed they were also just trick or treating.

The following incident falls into the category parents call, "Things My Child Would Never Do."

The boys were about 10 years old, small, neither one of them had gone through their growth spurt yet. Together they managed to sneak out of the house with a dozen eggs.  The plan was to throw them at cars as they passed by.  Laughing and playing, they hit the first 3 cars, but the fourth car was different.  This egg impacted the driver's side window. 

The boys hear brakes screeching. The car they hit comes to a halt.   A huge 6 foot 3 man exits the driver's side. Out of the side door, another monster of a man emerges from the car.  Both men are swearing and letting the boys know they are going to "KIck their Ass."

Nik dives underneath a car in the driveway.

Jeff picks a shrub next to a nearby house. As he dives into the bush, a dozen birds evacuate from where they have been sleeping, as if they were whispering in the wind, "Look, over here, he is in the bush."

Somehow, the men don't see the birds.

They walk by the car that Nik is under, using words, you hope your own child will never know.

Jeff is still in the bush. Here is part of his narrative confession years later:

"I had tic-
tacs in my pocket and I was shaking so hard that I sounded like Maracas."

After several long minutes, the men get back in their car and leave.

The two boys came back to Pam's house as if nothing had ever happened. 

They survived the night.  That night became a cousin memory for life. 


Now, both of them are wonderful fathers. 


Amelia, as much as I want you to be like your wonderful mother, I am so happy that you will also be like your father, Jeff. 

Go after life, Amelia. Life is wonderful, every day we choose which side of wonderful we live in.

Aunt Judy Loves You.  I will tell you more true-life stories when you are bigger.



Jeff is now an Engineer.
Nik is a professional UFC fighter, The Carny.

Amelia is 2 days old and beautiful.


.



"My Child Would Never Do That" writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write about a moment in your life when you found out your child or relative did something you never expected them to do. These are the stories our children tell us after they are grown up that we never knew. Ask your children, what did you do that I would have been shocked to know when you were younger. We couldn't have laughed about it then, but now, we would truly enjoy it.


It is so fun to talk to your children when they are adults who will let us in on what we never knew. Love my children.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.