Spiritual Non-Fiction posted March 29, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Last Supper

Maundy Thursday

by damommy


Maundy Thursday
 
Maundy Thursday is the day we celebrate Jesus’ last supper with His disciples, the last day of His life.  He told them that they were to love one another as He had loved them.  We call it the Golden Rule these days.
 
This is a serious statement.  ‘Maundy’ is a short version of the Latin word ‘mandatum,’ which means command.   So it was that Jesus commanded all of us to love each other as we love ourselves.
 
In an act of humility, Jesus washed the disciples’ feet and commanded them to do the same for each other.  Some churches practice this, also.
 
Tonight, many altars will be stripped of their beautiful cloths, and everything is draped in purple for Good Friday, the day Christ was crucified.  Vigils will be held until the Day of Resurrection, or Easter.
 
The word Easter is from the Old English ‘eastre,’ the goddess of spring.  This is so fitting as it a new beginning for us all.  Jesus rose from the dead, and promised that we, too, will have eternal life with Him.

 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.