Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 16, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short story about this sleep day.

Today it's World Sleep Day.

by robina1978


World Sleep Day is an annual event, intended to be a celebration of sleep and a call to action on important issues related to sleep, including medicine, education, social aspects and driving.
This is another day, that is new to me. The radio reporter tells about this. It seems a more sensible day than women's day.

It is organized by the World Sleep Day Committee of World Sleep and aims to lessen the burden of sleep problems on society through better prevention and management of sleep disorders.
World Sleep Day is held the Friday before Spring Vernal Equinox of each year.

I wish to sleep the whole day. As a lot of females I have difficulty getting to sleep. That is why I take sleeping tablets every night. That is not right, but I still do it.

Healthy sleep is sleep which restores and energizes a person, so he or she feels wide awake, dynamic and energetic all day long. Health and disease are opposites, and therefore, when disease (disorder) of sleep does exist, sleep investigation is worded to identify and treat it. Sleep disorders are not rare, and they can cause serious problems, if left untreated.

As most of us know: The optimal sleep duration requirement is largely determined by heredity. However, large surveys show that the average sleep duration for adult person is about 7 to 8 hours. I always need ten, all my life. How about you?

Dreaming is a mental activity that occurs in sleep and has been linked to physiology. Disturbed sleep physiology due to disorders of sleep or wakefulness has been shown to affect dream recall and content, supporting the arousal-retrieval model of dreaming. At the same time, one recent study highlighted the specific role of activated mesolimbic dopaminergic system in heightened dream recall, the reward-activation model of dreaming. Regardless of the theory, if you are healthy, absence of recall of dreams might suggest that your sleep is continuous, free of interruptions, and you are in an emotionally stable state during wakefulness. Most of us dream every night. It is normal not to remember our dreams.

You may have insomnia if you have:
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Early awakenings
Inability to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep every night
Symptoms of fatigue, sleepiness and/or difficulties with attention and concentration the next day.

The prevalence of sleep apnea in the adult population aged 30 to 70 years is approximately 26% to 34% in men and 17% to 28% in women. Racial and ethnic factors play a significant role in specific population groups. It is known about the high prevalence of sleep apnea among Asians, among Latin American population of the USA, and also in Spain, especially among women.

Robert had sleep apnea. He had symptoms for years and years. When I think about this: his death can be possibly connected to it. He got all the tests and used a machine for some time. I mention his symptoms.

The typical patient with sleep apnea is characterized by complaints.

Complaints during sleep:
-snoring
-reported apneas
-choking
-nocturia
-sleep is unrefreshing
-night sweating
-bed-wetting, this symptom he had not.

Complaints during wakefulness:
-morning headaches
-dry mouth upon waking up
-excessive sleepiness
-fatigue
-lack of energy
-acid reflux
-irritability and mood changes
-trouble concentrating during the day
-a decline in memory
-erectile dysfunction and/or low sex drive

Sleep apnea literally means "without breath during sleep". Untreated sleep apnea has been linked to several chronic diseases, mood disorders and anxiety, risk for perioperative complications and more. Poor sleep effects every aspect of life, including one's vitality and general outlook. Symptoms of excessive daytime sleepiness predispose the growth of traffic accidents, traumatism in the workplace and the development of mental illness.

Association of sleep apnea and comorbidities may magnify the cardiovascular risk factors aggravating mortality. Comorbidities of sleep apnea are drug-resistant hypertension, congestive heart failure, diabetes, acute coronary syndrome, atrial fibrillation, stroke, pulmonary hypertension, sudden cardiac death, cancer and chronic respiratory disease.

If you and I read these symptoms and illnesses: It is maybe possible that this illness caused his stomach cancer, chronic respiratory disease, and unduly death with cardiac symptoms and chest apnoea.
But he was past the stage of being rescued.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE.





Recognized


The photo and most of the information I found in Wikipedia.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. robina1978 All rights reserved.
robina1978 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.