General Fiction posted March 10, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Book Review

Wonder

by Heather Knight


I have always enjoyed reading YA and children's books. Harry Potter, Little House on the Prairie, Horrid Henry, Holes, The Fault in Our Stars, The Worst Witch... and many others. I read some of those to my children when they were little, but others I read on my own.

Not long ago, the book club I run in my school chose Wonder as our monthly novel.

I'm sure you've heard about this wonderful book or maybe seen the film.

R. J. Palacio published Wonder in 2012 after an incident in her own life. One day, while she was waiting for the bus with her 3-year-old son, he started crying when he saw a girl with a severe facial deformity.

That was what inspired her to create one of the most endearing characters in children's literature: August Pullman or Auggie as his friends and family call him.

The story is narrated in the first person and different chapters are told by different characters, which means we get different perspectives and a more reliable, rounded vision.

Everything begins when Auggie, who has been homeschooled and undergone twenty-something operations in his young life, starts middle school. Some children are kind to him, but many bully him because of the way he looks.

This is a great book for children and adults alike. One that makes us think and teaches us to be kinder.

Auggie and his family are examples of endurance and the ability to be cheerful even when life is tough.

If you haven't read it, do. You will not regret it. The characters will stay with you long after you finish the last page. And you will be left with a warm, fuzzy feeling in your heart and a sweet taste in your mouth.



Recognized


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.