General Poetry posted February 28, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Death in Nature: We never saw it coming until...

Once Upon a Perfect Summer's Day

by Mrs. KT

 

Straight line winds destroyed
huge trees, hillsides, habitats ~
forests' wounds still weep

 



5-7-5 death in nature writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 syllable poem somehow incorporating death in nature.

Recognized


Truth be told, we never saw it coming...until it was too late:
The most severe storm in Michigan history took place on August 2, 2015. Thousands of downed trees and power lines were reported on that summer Sunday as locally 90-100 mph straight-line winds accompanied the severe thunderstorms.
The National Weather Service reported that the widespread wind damage and large hail during the nearly 10 hour event was estimated to have caused roughly $82 million in total losses, making it the costliest severe thunderstorm event in northern Michigan recorded history.
Some wooded areas were closed for months following the Aug. 2 storm.
Throughout northern Michigan, it will take decades for parts of the forest to regrow and replace some of the trees that were knocked down and decimated due to strong winds. I will never forget the deafening sound of the wind or the trees breaking as they fell around our property and onto our home and deck...
My husband and I lost over 40 hardwoods on our property that day. Magnificent oak and maples were felled and ultimately destroyed in a matter of minutes. Additionally, wildlife was uprooted; we did not see deer on our property for another two years...
Three years later, there is new life, new growth, but the wounds are still visible... a reminder of the immense power that Nature commands...

You can read more about the storm and view some magnificent photographs of the sky that day at the following site:
http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/a-look-back-at-the-most-expensive-severe-storm-in-northern-michigan-history



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mrs. KT All rights reserved.
Mrs. KT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.