Fantasy Fiction posted February 22, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A secret engagement

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

The Plan

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A child is taken from his mother, an outcast, and becomes a champion for his people
Nyla, greatly relieved to hear her brothers were well, invited Dak in.

"Come in and warm yourself."

The dogs were not happy that a stranger had entered their home. They walked slowing towards Dak, growling, lips pulled back showing long pointed teeth.

"Arrow! Wolf! Go sit by the fire," Nyla commanded.

The dogs dropped their heads in submission, but only for a moment, they went to lay by the fire, but their eyes never left Dak.

"They have grown much since I saw them last," Dak commented. He warmed his hands by the fire and watched the dogs as they watched him.

"They are good watch dogs, and hunters," answered Nyla.

"I'm sure," Dak replied with a grin.

"I was just warming some venison stew I made. Sit and have some."

As Nyla set about dishing up the stew, she could feel Dak watching her and she suddenly felt ackward. Did he think me ugly with my black hair and violet eyes, she wondered.

She dished up a large bowl of stew for Dak and a smaller portion for herself. Her appetite, which had been robust a few moments ago, had deserted her, and she found it hard to swallow.

She had never been alone with a man and rarely had to make conversation. Her brothers were her only visitors and they never stopped talking.

She studied Dak as he ate. He had good features and a strong square jaw. His eyes were a striking deep blue, fringed with long tawny, whited tipped lashes. His white hair fell just to his shoulders and he kept part of it pull back and tied with a leather thong. As with all Wahaland men, he was unusally tall and well muscled. She realized he had looked up and caught her studying him. She quickly averted her gaze.

"So the council finally ordered my brothers to quest. I thought perhaps they would forgo it," she said as she moved her food around her bowl.

The Quest was a test of abilities. It was a series of tasks to prove a man worthy of being a warrior.

"No one forgos the quest. The council would never allow it." Dak talked between spoonfuls of stew. "It is how they know who the best warriors are. They were just allowed a delay. They gave other reasons to the council, but they delayed because of you, they didn't want you on your own."

Nyla smiled at this. Her brothers had always been so unselfish when it came to her. She was grateful for them.

"And they only have to go six months and not the full twelve. I have no worries for them. No one can best them at the sword or bow, and they are fearless. They are already proven warriors. That is why they are not requried to stay the full time, the council knows they are worthy,"  Dak said this as he scraped the last of the stew from his bowl.

Usually only single men participated in the Quest but because of the long delay, the brother were already wed with children to care for. 

"Your brothers tell me you are very skilled with the sword and bow."

"My brothers trained me well."

"I shall have to test you one day." He smiled, and finished his second of helping of stew Nyla had dished up. 

Dak stayed a while longer and as he readied to leave, Nyla packed him some food and gave him an extra blanket against the cold.

"Thank you Nyla. The food and blanket will be welcomed if I am forced to shelter for the night. I'll be back to check on you in some days." She watched as he mounted his great, black stallion. She had never seen such a horse.

"Do you ride?" he asked.

"Yes, my brothers taught me that as well. But I have never seen such an animal," she nodded towards the stallion.

Dak leaned down and patted the horse's neck. "He is a worriors steed." He smiled, and saluted Nyla as he disappeared from view. The dogs barked their farewell, happy to see the stranger gone.

Dak felt himself drawn to the dark haired girl. He had since he first laid eyes on her. But he knew the dangers of associating with a Dark One. He could lose his good standing in the village, but far worse, his family might disown him.  

Nyla felt drawn to Dak as well. It was natural that she should, he being the only man she had spent time with besides her brothers. He was much like her brothers. with an easy going nature, and a sense of humor she enjoyed. She too knew the risk Dak took in being with her. She kept her mind from thinking beyond a friendship.

Daks visits increased as he found Nyla to be a good companion. They had many spirited conversations, and she could hold her own aginst him with a sword, and was better than he with a bow. She loved to ride, so when weather premitted, they rode through the woods and around the township. Now and then they would race, Dak always the winner. Nyla's gelding no match for his more powerful stallion. They rode often in compaionable silence, not needing to talk, enjoying each other company.

On one of his visits Dak challenged Nyla. Fresh meat was need so they would hunt and which ever one of them brought down the biggest buck, they would get a new pair of boots from the loser. He knew Nyla might well win, she being a skilled hunter. She could get within ten feet of her prey, she was soundless, and knew to stay up wind. But he was determined to best her.

After an hour of hunting, Dak heard a familiar war whoop. He sighed knowing Nyla had brought down her prey. He walked towards the sound and  there she stood, foot on the haunches of a ten point buck, Wolf and Arrow flanking her.

"Why do I hunt with you? You do great harm to my manhood. I won't best you, I forfeit. How you do it with these noisy hounds with you, I cannot fathom."

"They know how to be very quiet." The dogs panted, and nodded as if they understood.

Dak returned to the cottage to get his horse to haul the deer. He butchered the buck, being careful with the hide which would be made into new boots for Nyla. Together they salted the meat, putting aside some for their dinner and carried the rest down to the celler, some packed with snow to eat that week and the rest hung to dry.

Dak sat across from Nyla at the table as they enjoy the tasty venison. "This tastes better than is usual for some reason," Nyla said with eyebrows raised and a smile.

Dak allowed a corner of his mouth to turn up. "I do not find your attempt at humor amusing."

Nyla laughed, and Dak watching her, thought for the millionth time how beautiful she was. He knew in his heart he loved her and had since the first day he had seen her as a youth.

He had been making plans in his mind of how they could be together and he not lose his birthright. As the eldest of four sons, he would get the greatest portion of his father's holdings. But lately he had begun to think nothing really mattered but Nyla.

Dak laid his hand on Nyla's. "Be my wife. I have loved you since I first saw you. You are worth twenty of any woman I know."

Nyla stared wide eyed at Dak. Her heart beat so hard and loud she could hear it in her ears and was sure Dak could hear it too.

"Dak, think. You don't know what you are saying. What of your family?" Nyla shook as she spoke. Though she had longed to hear them, she also knew what his words could mean.

"I have thought long. We can be wed, but no one need know. I would be with the clan for some days; then here for some days. It is not the best for you, I know, but it would be just for a time.  I am a hunter for the village. I am often gone away for days. No one will notice my absences."

"My brothers will find out. They come often."

"Yes, I know. We will have to tell them, but they will keep silent. They will be for us." Dak's eyes pleaded for her to say yes.

Dak's words were persuasive and though Nyla knew they had not thought it through as well as they should, she agreed.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.