Children Fiction posted February 21, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hard at Work

Exhausted

by damommy


Endeavour and Tucker were chatting just before their nap.
 
I’m exhausted.
 
Me, too.  Move over a little.
 
Did you see all that work to do?  What’s going on out there?
 
I saw it, and it tired me out just watching.  Get your foot out of my ear.
 
What’re the uncles doing anyway?  It looks like they’re building a barracks.
 
No, they’re building an ark for damommy.
 
What the heck’s an ark?
 
You know.  Like Noah’s ark where he took two of every animal.
 

Only two of us get to go?  What!  What about me?  Do I get to go?  I can’t stay here by myself!
 
Calm down, you moron.  It’s not really an ark like that.  The uncles called it that because damommy keeps taking in stray animals.  Like us.
 
Whew!  You had me worried there for a while.  Wonder what it’s like inside?
 
Well, I got a good peek and saw big rooms with lots of ramps and ledges around the walls.  It’ll be great for running and jumping.  According to the uncles, she’s going to put in lots of boxes, trees for climbing, and oodles of big soft pillows.
 
Hmmm.  Sounds like it might be okay.  What else?
 
Whaddya mean, what else?  It’s going to be every cat’s dream.  Three stories high, and each floor has its own private litter pan.  Food will be dispensed 24/7 and water trickles from several little fountains throughout the house.
 
Also, there’ll be special quarters for the turtles with a sunken pool, a sandy ‘beach,’ bushes to burrow under, and trees for shade.  When the sun’s not out, they’ll have something called a full spectrum light.  Like sunshine, but not.
 
Do we get to go in there, too?
 
No, because you wouldn’t stay out of the sand.  You know how you are. 
 
You think they could hold the noise level down a little?  It was tiring enough just watching them.  Do they have to keep me awake as well?  Jeez, you think they’d be a little more considerate of a cat’s sleep requirements.
 
Will you hush already?  I’m telling damommy I want my own room and it has to be soundproofed so I don’t have to listen to your incessant babble.  Now go to sleep.
 
Yeah, it’s been a hard day, all that sawing and hammering.  Supervising was the hardest part.  They wouldn’t listen to a thing I said.  Did you hear me, Tucker?  Tucker?
 
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 



Recognized


The challenge was what would you design as quarters for an animal?

Endeavour's on the left. Tucker's on the right.

Club entry for the "Animal Crackers" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.