General Science Fiction posted February 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Laura escapes from the Guild

A chapter in the book The Listener

The Exit

by snodlander



Background
Laura is a telepath. Having discovered a conspiracy by the Guild of Telepaths she and Andrew Christmas gather data, but she is caught.
Jones opened the door.  A man in security garb stood outside.
 
“There’s… biological evidence on the carpet.  Bleach in the kitchenette.  Deal with it.”
 
He glanced at Laura, hesitating for a moment.
 
“Now!”  Her den mother persona just a memory, she seemed like a different person.
 
“Mr. Leeson said –“
 
“Mr. Leeson is dealing with the police so I can deal with her.  Now!”
 
Jones grabbed Laura’s arm and marched her into the night, not bothering to look back to see if her orders were being obeyed.  Of course he’d obey.  Who could resist that imperial tone?  Did all Listeners act like that with Normals, Laura wondered.  No, not her.  Not her friends.  Did they?  Did she?
 
“Where are we going to?” she asked.
 
“From, dear,” Jones replied.  “We’re going from Peter, and that’s the important thing, isn’t it?”
 
They strode between the cabins, Jones keeping up a pace that belied her stature.
 
“Do you have a car?” Jones asked.  “We’re turning right here.”
 
“No, no car.  Isn’t the entrance over there?”
 
“Yes, dear.  So are the cameras.  Do keep up.”
 
They wound between cabins, sometimes on paving stones, sometimes across grass now wet with dew.  Then they angled left, approaching the exit from the side.  Jones stopped in the shadow of a cabin and turned to face Laura.  She stared into her face for a moment, then held out a phone.
 
“Call him, dear.  Get him to pick you up.  Sooner would be better.  Peter is going to be in a mood when he finds out you’re gone.”
 
Laura hesitated, unsure.  Jones sighed.
 
“Peter still has your phone.  We have Christmas’ number.  He already has the data, right?  He won’t be stupid enough to bring the sole copy with him.  We’ve lost and now all I can do is limit the damage.  Peter won’t see it that way, so you have to go.  You can try hitch-hiking down the road or call a cab, but you need to get away as soon as possible and dig a hole Peter can’t find until Christmas has given evidence.  Pick a direction.”
 
“Sorry?”
 
“Left or right.  Pick one, and I’ll try and send them the other way.”  She sighed when Laura hesitated.  “I consent to a level one scan.  Tell me I’m lying.  The police crawling all over us changes things.  The best thing for the Guild is for us to cut our losses.  Go on, dear.  Scan me.”
 
Laura cast her net.  Jones mind was a mess of emotion, despite her having erected deeper blocks, but there was no sign of a lie.
 
“You won’t try to find us or trap Andrew?”
 
“I won’t, dear.  I can’t talk for Peter or anyone else, but I’ll do what I can.  You and I are both still Listeners, and the Guild is still here for you.  I know you don’t believe that at the moment, but we’ll still be here, even after you’ve put the rest of the world to flames.  Now, do you want to hitchhike or use my phone?”
 
Laura stared at the older woman, mouth open.  She wasn’t lying.  She actually believed it.
 
“When this is over, call me any time,” said Jones.  “But I don’t suppose you will.  Talk to your friends then.  I don’t think many people will want to know you after what you’ve done, but I’ve a feeling Judy will.  Tony too.  Don’t throw your talent away.”  She proffered her phone.  Laura shook her head in disbelief and snatched it from her.  She dialled Andrew’s number.  It was answered on the second ring with silence.
 
“Is that you, Mum?”
 
A long pause, then, "No, it's not. Is Shirley there?"

"No, she's at the cinema.  I’m out.  Pick me up.”
 
“How?  Why?”
 
“Just do it.  I’ll explain later.  Clock’s ticking.”
 
“Can you get to where we last met?”
 
“I guess.”
 
“On my way.”
 
Christmas hung up.  Laura browsed for a local cab firm and booked a cab for the end of the retreat driveway.  Then, as an afterthought, she cleared the browser and phone histories.  She handed the phone back.
 
“Right,” she said, nodding in the direction of The Lion.
 
“I’ll tell them you said something about – “ Jones looked to her left “ – Beechford.  But you need to disappear as soon as you can.  I can’t stall Peter forever.  I won’t go any further.”  She nodded at the gate.  “Cameras.  Staff.  You understand.”  Suddenly she stepped forward and gave Laura a hug.  It lasted less than a couple of seconds, then she stood back.  “I can’t say you’re my favourite person.  You’ve set us back years and it’s going to be years more of torches and pitchforks before it settles down.  Still, it was going to come out sometime.  I expect we’ve got a strategy.  And between you and me, Peter deserves what’s coming to him.  Good luck.”
 
And with that she turned on her heel and strode off into the night.
 
 
L


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.