Horror and Thriller Science Fiction posted February 13, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
science fiction

A chapter in the book Inner and Outer Space

The Man Machine

by estory

Taylor 3, 7's eyes slowly fluttered open. The restorative period was over. He turned his head and looked out of the window, where light was beginning to brighten the grey apartment buildings across the street. There were no faces at any of the windows, just abstract reflections contorted into strange, grotesque images. Taylor 3, 7 turned back and fixed his eyes on the television set across from him on the opposite wall.

"Computer," Taylor 3, 7 said out loud, "News and weather, please."

"Request permitted" a monotone voice answered him from the speakers in the corners of the room.

Instantly the TV blinked on, and the figure of a man in a suit sitting at a desk appeared, his hands folded on top of it, his expressionless face staring straight into Taylor 3, 7's.

"Animated Robotics is requesting more aids report to its functions assignment facility. All acceptable candidates should proceed there on Monday morning, May 15, for assessment. Water services will be temporarily disrupted in Ward 13 of New York due to routine maintenance. Health reviews are due by the end of the month for all odd numbered individuals. Health reviews can be obtained at Hospitals 12, 13, and 14 on odd numbered days. Appointments must be made in advance and can be scheduled via computer. Compliance issues must be resolved and can be taken care of at Hospitals 4, 5, and 6. Routine maintenance will temporarily cause delays on F and B subway lines in the city. Schedule your commutes appropriately." The man looked to his right and the camera cut to the figure of a young woman standing next to a weather map.

"The weather will be sunny and mild. Temperatures will rise into the mid 70's by noon," The young woman said in a soothing voice. "There will be a few, high clouds. Tonight will be clear and cool with lows in the lower sixties. The next few days will continue is this fair pattern, good for outdoor activities." The woman looked to her left and the camera cut to the figure of a young man in a suit sitting at another desk.

"Previous sports," the young man said, in that machine like monotone. "In basketball, New York 112, Albuquerque 110. In football, Houston 23, New York 14. In baseball, New York 3, Boston 2."

"Thank you, computer," Taylor 3, 7 said. The television instantly went dark.

With a sigh, Taylor 3, 7 extended his arm out from underneath the covers of his bed. A bright computer chip embedded in his right hand glittered in the light from the window. Taylor 3, 7 moved his hand carefully over a sensor mounted on the end table. As the chip aligned with the clear glass of the sensor, it lit up, and a series of flashes and beeps emanated from the end table.

The monotone voice of the computer could be heard coming from the speakers again. "Smoking; in compliance. Drinking; one drink over compliance. Penalty assessed. No further alcoholic beverages permitted this week. Blood sugar; over compliance. Penalty assessed. No further artificial sweeteners permitted this week. Blood pressure; over compliance. Penalty assessed. No further sodium permitted this week. Report forwarded to Hospital unit 11."

Slowly, Taylor 3, 7 withdrew his hand, and the sensor in the end table darkened. The chip in his hand also went dark. He sighed again, and sat up, rubbing his hand. No further drinks. No further desserts. No further salt. The week ahead would be another dull one. He stood up and looked out of the window. A jet was flying above the skyscrapers. Down in the streets, robot cars were making their way soundlessly through the avenues, carrying their passengers to their assigned destinations. Other units were walking on the sidewalks, getting some exercise or completing their commutes. Instead of speaking to each other, they stared uninterruptedly into their communicators, sending messages, receiving messages, and instructions. Taylor 3, 7 got off the bed and made his way to the kitchen.

"Computer, breakfast, please," Taylor 3, 7 said. He made his way over to the table, in a bright corner next to a window. A light on the refrigerator snapped on, and a dull, whirring sound was heard. The light on the coffeemaker snapped on, and then off. Taylor 3, 7 grimaced at that.

"Request for coffee denied," the monotone of the computer stated. "Blood pressure out of compliance. Mitigating health remedies applied. Breakfast will consist of orange juice, oat bran with milk, an apple, protein bar." With hardly a sound, a machine that looked like a vacuum cleaner with arms slid out from a compartment in the wall, opened the refrigerator, and retrieved a bowl of cereal, an apple, a glass of orange juice, and a protein bar, closed the refrigerator and made its way across the kitchen floor to Taylor 3, 7. It set the condiments on the table without a comment or much noise at all, snapped a picture of Taylor with his food, and slid back into its compartment.

Complaining would be futile. Taylor slowly chewed his food, drank his juice. "Computer, shop for groceries, please." Taylor said out loud.

"Compiling grocery list," The dull monotone answered instantly.

"Can you add one six pack of beer?" Taylor asked, sheepishly. "And one box of cookies?'

"Request denied," The computer replied. "Health indicators out of compliance. Substituting one six pack pommegrenate juice, one box kiwis."

Taylor sighed again. He took a few mouthfuls of the unflavored oats and chewed slowly. "Computer, mail, please."

A screen next to the kitchen table lit up. It blinked, and then a list of messages appeared. Taylor read them one by one. "Attendance mandatory at morning health walk. Scheduled for 8 AM. Location: Building 23 lobby. Duration: one hour. Attendance mandatory at work function. Scheduled for 10:30 AM. Transportation arranged for Taxi at 10 AM. Duration: 8 hours. Job function scheduled: cleaning tables, trays and utensils at Cafeteria 32. Nutrients ordered for lunch break: one green salad, Italian dressing; one tuna sandwich, light dressing, whole wheat bread; one banana; one bottle water. Return transportation arranged for 6:30 PM. Dinner scheduled for 7 PM. One green salad, Italian dressing; one serving lightly grilled chicken; one serving rice; one serving green beans; one glass seltzer water. Bill for media services: one hundred thirty seven units. Due May 27. Bill for electrical services: one hundred seventy four units. Due May 27. Bill for groceries: four hundred eighty three units. Due May 27. Bill for Transportation: two hundred twenty one units. Due May 27. Bill for computer services: three hundred eleven units. Due May 27. Bill for apartment: two thousand units. Due May 27. Bill for companionship: five hundred forty seven units. Due May 27. Bank balance: three thousand ninety eight units. Deposit received for job function; five hundred fifty units. Reminder; networking group meeting: Tuesday, May 12, eight thirty PM. Reminder; watercolor class: Thursday, May 14, eight thirty PM. Reminder; entertainment scheduled: Movie at Theatre 10, scheduled at eight thirty PM. Transportation arranged. Accompanying unit notified."

Taylor was done with his cereal. He pushed the bowl away and stood up. He extended an arm, and moved his right hand over a sensor mounted on the wall. Again the chip in his hand lit up, and again the sensor flashed, and beeped.

"Downloading bank units," the computer said over the speakers. "Sorting. Allocating to bills. Units successfully downloaded. Bills paid."

Taylor stood up. "Computer, clean up, please." Again, the strange, vacuum like machine slid out from its compartment in the wall, made its way over the table, extended an arm, and with a slight whirring noise, picked up all the dishes and vacuumed the table, and deposited the dishes in the dishwater, which blinked on automatically. Taylor 3, 7 made his way into the bathroom, where a mirror switched on, and a drawer opened to reveal an electric shaver, a tube of toothpaste, a bottle of mouthwash, and a bottle of shampoo. As he readied his toothbrush, the faucet switched on. A soothing strain of music played softly in the background from a hidden speaker somewhere.

When Taylor was done he went into his office, and sat in a swivel chair in front of a computer terminal. "Computer, I would like a date, please."

The terminal blinked on, and the voice of the monotone computer acknowledged him from a speaker above the desk. "Compiling candidates. Editing for compatibility. Editing for scheduling conflicts. Editing for anticipated character value. Editing for DNA acceptability. Editing for anticipated life enhancement capability."

A series of faces appeared on the screen. All the faces looked beautiful, all were smiling. Taylor's eyes seemed to light up at he studied them. But it was only a brief interlude. One face was enlarged. The computer had finished the edit, and made its selection.

"Mary 2, 23," the computer stated. "Age 27. Occupation: teacher. Interests: Movies, computer games, virtual reality adventures. Contacting. Establishing communications link."

The screen blinked, and the figure of Mary 2, 23 appeared, sitting in a recliner, smiling. "Hello," she said, in a pleasant voice. "How can I be of service?"

"I was wondering if you could accompany me on a virtual reality adventure. Something like Victoria Falls. Then maybe we could have dinner at Restaurant 21. Listen to some music. Do you like music?"

Mary 2, 23 smiled. "I like music. I play the guitar. Would you like to me to play guitar for you?"

"Sure," Taylor 3, 7 said. "Are you available for sex?"

"Maybe." Mary 2, 23 extended her arm, and waved her hand over a sensor on the table next to her. Taylor extended his hand too. The chip in his hand lit up as it came into contact with the sensor embedded in the desk, and the sensor in the desk flashed, and beeped several times in sequence.

The computer's dull, monotone voice addressed him from the speaker. "Assessing compatibility. Assessing sex schedule. Assessing entertainment value."

Taylor stared at the image of the girl on the screen, drinking in the details, his eyes twitching with anticipation. "Sex granted." the computer said, in its monotone.

Taylor leaned back and closed his eyes. A smile played on his lips for a few minutes. He stretched out, he relaxed. Then, the computer beeped, and the sensor flashed. With a sigh, he withdrew his hand, and the chip dulled. He rubbed it. He stared at the girl on the screen, who was looking back at him. "What about the virtual reality?" he asked Mary 2, 23.

"Sure," the girl said, smiling. "I'll get back to you." And the screen went blank.

Taylor sighed again. For a moment, he stared at the blank screen of the computer, then he looked out of the window. A drone went passed, its camera briefly recording him. He pulled the blinds shut.

What had life been before the computers, he wondered. What was it like to be human, before they were turned into cyborgs?




This strange little story is a view of the future in which machines have progressed through the ever convenience seeking human race, until they have come to dominate him. Indeed, people have become cyborgs, living beings plugged into machines and manipulated by machines for maximum efficiency, as machines logically apply themselves. As we bend ourselves more and more into this computer world, I hope it serves as eerie glimpse into what machines might someday accomplish. And what we might leave behind. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.