General Fiction posted February 11, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bloody Valentines' aren't always what they seemed to be.

My Bloody Valentine

by moonsunrise


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
My Bloody Valentine

Today, Valentine's Day 2018, began very differently for me from years past.
I had decided to sleep in after a long week of depositions, trials and many overtime hours at Emerson and Emerson Law offices.

This morning was my day. I couldn't believe that I slept in until nine am. Just as I was about to rise I heard the door handle click and was surprised to see Jack opening the door with breakfast tray in hand. What a tray to behold, Eggs Benedict with roasted asparagus spears and a tiny amount of scalloped potatoes with onions (my favorite). Not only was my breakfast tray presentation mouth-watering, it was also accompanied with a tall Bloody Mary with a beautiful red velvet ribbon tied to a celery stick with a long stem red rose tucked inside the ribbon. This day was most definitely off to a perfect start. Jack had taken the day off to spend time with me in the morning. He had also purchased a gift certificate to Bellisimo's Day Spa knowing that I was in much need of pampering.

The grueling 3 month murder trial had just come to a close. It was time for me to take some time and forget about work for awhile. Living in the city had been very daunting. I had just turned 40 and was becoming increasingly tired of all the negative press in the daily newspapers and on television. I was tired of reading or hearing about murder after murder, rape after rape, trafficking after trafficking, political mistrust, drug deals gone wrong not to mention the epidemic opiod abuses and overdoses. I wanted to hear some good news for just a little while. I desperately needed to regroup if I planned on remaining in my career.

Over the years I had felt accomplished and found my position as an attorney very rewarding. Sure I didn't win all my cases, some didn't deserve to be won, but I had a majority of rightful wins that helped many victims. A lot had changed since then. The violence in the city was progressing more than years past and the nature of the crimes were becoming much worse. Take the case of the Bloody Valentine killing that took place after a night of drinking at The Black Orchid Bar. Damn, the girl was only 15. She was told to wait in the car while her father went in for a drink. His drink turned into two, then three and more continuing to closing time.

Chloe had waited patiently for so long that she finally fell asleep only to be awakened by a stranger sitting in the driver's seat of her dad's car. Her dad had passed out after leaving the bar and was escorted by a paddy wagon to jail to sober up over night. The man, now in the driver's seat, had stolen his wallet and keys to the car. The details of what happened to her were incomprehensible and too disturbing to revisit again. I very much needed to go to Bellisimo's to try to forget and relax before dinner this evening with Jack.
After all, this was my day and our day.

The day at the spa was just what the doctor ordered, massage, and manicure/pedicure, facial and afterwards champagne and chocolate covered strawberries while listening to the beautiful voice of Andrea Bocceli. I was so appreciative and thankful to have Jack in my life. I felt transcended in time. On the way home I decided to stop at the local liquor store to pick up a bottle of Jack's favorite celebratory drink, Dom Perignon. I only had an hour and a half before Jack would be home to take me to Bianca's for our romantic Valentine's Day dinner.

I wore Jack's favorite red dress and a pair of blood red teardrop earrings and of course his favorite perfume, Organza by Givenchy. When I saw Jack my heart stopped for a moment. He was tall, handsome and had a beautiful smile. He escorted me to the limo he had reserved. I could now surprise him with Dom Perignon on the way to Bianca's. We had a very romantic dinner; Chateaubriand with bearnaise sauce served with a vegetable medley and twice baked potatoes. The dessert consisted of a lovely presentation of bloody valentine red velvet cake with berry sauce.

The evening concluded with a scrumptious Bloody Valentine Martini, my very first. It consisted of mandarin vodka, blood orange juice, a splash of Campari, 2 slices of Blood Orange for garnish and white sugar to rim the glass. Tied to the stem of the glass was a small box with a blood red ruby pendant on a gold chain inside!

This was definitely the best Bloody Valentine's Day I had ever experienced!






Bloody Valentine contest entry


I so enjoy being a member of FanStory. I am learning so much thanks to this site and the writers I have met now that I have started to write again. Writing allows me the freedom to explore different scenarios while it encourages me to let my mind flow like a river not knowing right away where my poem or story will end and if the dots will be connected or left to the reader's imagination.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. moonsunrise All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
moonsunrise has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.