Fantasy Fiction posted February 4, 2018 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nara gets a look into the art world of Rugged Saddles

A chapter in the book Legend Chasers

Art Class

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Nara Baker, history teacher and escapee from heartache in the cold north, takes a job in rural Sagerton, Texas. There, she finds more mystery and intrigue than she bargained for.
End of Chapter 3: The Piasa Bird

Nara shook her head in disbelief. Was everyone on this ranch crazy?

"Anyway," Hank continued. "You're welcome to come by my classroom and see
some of the artwork students have created about his creatures."
"Art class? You're a teacher?"

"Sure, what'd you think I was? A cowhand?"

"Pretty much."

"Ha ha, well, I'm that too."

"So, the lovely paintings in my room... they're your students' work?"

"Heck no, they're mine, and I'm glad you like them, Sweetheart."

Hank flashed a grin and turned away. Nara thought she heard an annoying chuckle in his wake. She thought about shooting a scathing remark at his back, but just couldn't think of one. How do you counter finding out the local redneck is actually your colleague, and a very talented one at that?


Chapter 4 - Art Class

Nara strolled around the art class, taking in each richly constructed art piece. Some were paintings, so realistic they seemed alive, while others were sculptures, sleek and magnificent. Her eyes caressed one after another as each legendary creature burst forth in striking rendition.

Some of the portrayals, she was familiar with. There were Bigfoots, Loch Ness Monsters, Vampire bats, werewolves, fanciful imps, and even colorful fairies.

Some of the paintings included two brothers at various stages of growing up, and others contained just the creatures themselves. All were breathtaking.

"These are amazing," Nara said. "Are they all your students' work?"

"Yes, Ma'am," Hank replied, "though I'll admit they're their best pieces. We're collecting them for a Sci-Fi Convention in town next weekend."

"In Saggerton?"

"No, the Haskell County Convention Center in Haskell. It's about 14 miles from here... as the Piasa bird flies."

"Funny."

"Yep, I'm a laugh a minute."

"While these really are beyond exceptional, Hank, why are they are all about mythical creatures? I mean, shouldn't the kids find all sorts of subjects to create?"

"Oh, they make lots of different art pieces. There's the usual stuff, like flowers, barnyards, animals of the normal type, and much more, but this collection is for profit for the kids. The proceeds will go to scholarships for college. Science fiction sells, my Dear, and especially at the Sci-Fi Fair, which is an annual tradition for us."

"It's good to have something to rally around, but I can't help thinking this might be all about Riley. He's a good storyteller, but spending so much time and talent indulging his fantasies is..."

"Irresponsible?" Hank hooked a finger through his belt loop and looked Nara in the eyes. The other hand he placed on the wall behind Nara's head. He leaned in, his lips brushing her ear. His whisper delivered as a caress.

"Irresponsible," he said, "is letting your heart die and your soul hide behind it."

Nara gulped at the closeness of the tall stranger whose masculine scent made her head reel. For a moment, she allowed herself to be human, and her heart thumped in her chest.

"Who's hurt you, Little Darlin'?"

"Life." The word, unbidden, escaped her lips as with a sigh.

Hank leaned over and tapped the end of her nose. "Come on, I want you to meet some folks."

Nara cleared her throat and straightened her skirt in a gesture that seemed to garner the self-control she needed. She took a second to let her breathing return to normal.

"What folks?" Nara asked, her voice a bit husky.

"Some other teachers."

"I thought I met all of them at the barbeque last night."

"There were two out of town," Hank said. He opened the door from his room and led her down a long hall.

Nara looked from side to side, surprised to find the walls covered in breathtaking murals. From the art class northwards, the pair took a virtual journey through the hall that started with an infant nestled in his mother's tender arms, progressed through a series of magical adventures, then ended at a room with the words, Reading Class, in flowing characters.

The wooden door bore the striking portrayal of a large creature with a lion-like head and the body of a four-legged fowl. Long, sharp teeth appeared to gnash in fury. Huge eyes glared from an oblong, hairy face.

"Of course, the coup-d'etat," Nara said. She stopped and gazed at the looming figure, its red wings spread beyond the border of the door to the walls on either side and to the header space above. "A Piasa bird. Hank, I really believe this is too much. Now you have your reading teacher involved in coddling this old man."

Hank placed a hand on his hip and tipped his head to the side. The piercing blue eyes seemed apologetic.

"Oh no..." Nara said. Her mouth dropped open in shock. "Don't tell me that crazy old man is the reading teacher. I thought he was the handyman."

"We all have multiple jobs. It's a working farm as well as a children's school."

"But you let him teach the students?"

"I'll have you know Riley's a very well educated fellow. He has a Master's degree in English and was a renowned journalist in his day."

"Really, what paper did he work for?"

"The Houston Post. He worked there from 1955 until the paper was bought out by the Chronicle in 1995."

"Really?" Surprise mixed with scorn in her voice.

"Yeah, he and his brother, Connor, were Backpack Journalists."

"Meaning they searched out the stories they wrote?"

"Yep."

Nara dropped her hands by her side in exasperation. "Go ahead. Tell me what the stories were about."

"I don't think I will, Little Lady. If you haven't figured it out already, it'll do me no good to explain it."

"He's a celebrity to all of you, isn't he?"

"It's a small town, Honey."

"Yes, it is."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Do I?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Come on, I want you to meet the two instructors I told you about. They teach math and engineering together in the class next door."

Nara allowed herself to be drawn to the next room. She was pleased to see there were no more fantasy paintings past Riley's reading class. This door was a simple maple, covered in sketches of machines and mathematical equations. Here was actually an anchor in all the mystical madness.

The door creaked open.

"Well, hello," came two synchronized voices. "Come in."

Nara halted in mid-stride. There before her were two identical men. They were tall, tawny headed, and sported piercing blue eyes. Slowly, as though caught in a time warp, Nara turned and looked at Hank. A lopsided grin lit his face.

"Miss Nara, I would like you to meet my brothers, Henry and Harry."

"Oh dear, please tell me there aren't three of you."



Recognized


A very special thanks for the lovely artwork, "Art" by BRUCEIORIO on FanArtReview

The following is a list of characters:

Nara Baker: House Mother, History Teacher

Hank: Art teacher at the school

Boarding School Director: Miss Barbara Eddins

Old Man: Riley Byrne - Handyman, storyteller, and reading teacher

Connor: Riley's older brother
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.