General Fiction posted April 17, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
150 word flash fiction

The Border

by frogbook


Thirty long years, drivin' and walkin' this line, seein' things no man wants to see, law man, protecting our borders, doin' what's right; that's me.

Bad people, sure, lots of 'em, but it don't hurt to treat a man with respect that don't have those kind of intentions, one just feedin' his family, tryin' to get them to a better place. Sure, I still gotta send them back, but not like these new hires who treat 'em like garbage.

You know, the world used to seem black and white, these days I been thinkin' too hard. Thinkin' about a man that don't act like these people are human, encouraging more hate.

Guess that's why, when I saw that last pair of bright black eyes, dirty little face, and desperate daddy, holdin' her tight, I turned and walked back to my truck, drove away. After all, it was my last shift.



150 Words Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. frogbook All rights reserved.
frogbook has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.