General Poetry posted January 22, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Nonet: Her words were true, but who was listening?

On Deaf Ears

by Mrs. KT

<<<~~~>>

She once said that apathy is man's
greatest sin, and I laughed at her.
"When man does nothing at all,
we all must share the blame."
I gave no response.
But then I saw
the homeless,
and I
wept

 <<<~~~>>>



Nonet Poetry writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a nonet poem. It's a simple format. A nonet has nine lines. The first line has nine syllables, the second line eight syllables, the third line seven syllables, etc... until line nine that finishes with just one syllable. It can be on any subject and rhyming is optional. See an example in this announcement (scroll down to the forum).

Recognized


A lifetime ago, when I was sixteen years old, my high school English teacher, Carol Rae Phillips, shared with my American Literature class that "Apathy is man's greatest sin." I took those words to heart all those many years ago. Her words were as true and profound then as they are today.
I didn't laugh when she said those words.
I didn't turn away.
I listened.
I learned.
And so, in a sense, this nonet is dedicated to Carol Rae Phillips...wherever she may be...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mrs. KT All rights reserved.
Mrs. KT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.