Romance Fiction posted January 21, 2018 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana learns more about Anderson.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Neunzehn part eins

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"So do I. The men assured me they could protect Shana if nothing changed. Bottom-line, I got outvoted."

"I have a feeling that doesn't happen often." Benjamin smiled.

"It doesn't." Anderson returned a grin. "But a wise man knows when he's beaten, and they're the experts in security. I just pray they're right."

"From your mouth to God's ears." Benjamin took a deep breath and slowly released it. "Shana's mother and I will remain in Peoria. If Paul and Hannah need us, we'll be close. Both their parents live a few hours away. We're the closest family." He paused. "We're going to trust you with our daughter's life."

"As I've mentioned before," Anderson's eyes met Benjamin's, "I want to assure you that your daughter has been and will continue to be treated with the utmost respect. To the best of my ability, I'll make sure no harm comes to her physically or emotionally." He offered his hand. After Benjamin accepted it, he added, "Remember I have a princess and I understand a father's love and concern for his daughter."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 19 part 1

After Shana and Hannah said goodbyes for the evening and Anderson made plans to have dinner delivered for Paul and Hannah, they were ready to leave the hospital.

"Your chariot waits." Anderson placed his hand on the small of Shana's back, scanned the area and led her out the hospital's main entrance, and to the armored limousine that waited a few feet away.

Shana remained silent on the way to the airport and the thirty minute flight to Chicago. Again, a limousine waited for their arrival, took them to the Gold Coast, and on to the rented condo.

Marc, a different security guard from the previous ones, unlocked the front door, walked with them to the elevator, handed Anderson the key, and after a few private words with Anderson, left.

"How many security teams do you have?" Shana looked over her shoulder before she entered.

"As many as needed. I felt Matt and his team needed to remain at the hospital. I doubt anything would happen, but I don't want to take any chances."

"I appreciate that." Shana scanned the living room. "This is nice." Her gaze moved to the floor as she chewed on her lower lip.

"I can tell something's bothering you. What is it?" Anderson waited. "It won't get answered or resolved if we don't talk about it."

Shana released a deep breath. "You have so many security teams at your disposal. Why did you have a knife? Don't you trust them? Did you have it on you at the penthouse? What about Emily? Do you carry other weapons?"

Taking her hand, Anderson led her to the table and held out a chair. "Please sit." After Shana sat, he sat across from her. "Second question yes, third question, not normally, fourth question, her wellbeing is always on my mind, and the final question, yes and no." He grinned.

"I'm serious. Why have you avoided answering?"

"I did answer your questions and truthfully." Anderson adjusted his watchband. "I'm pretty sure you're not going to like my answers." Her eyes met his, and he continued, "I do trust my security teams, but as they just proved they can't always react fast enough. I got to you first. I'll probably always be the closest person. When I'm at home, I rarely carry weapons, especially when Emily's around. I keep them under lock-and-key. When I took her to the park the other day, yes, I carried my knife and a gun." He paused. "I only had a knife with me today, but I wish I would've had my gun. I have a concealed weapon permit. Would you like to see it?" He reached for his billfold. After she shook her head, he continued, "As long as there's a threat to you, and you're in my care, I'll be armed. I hope you understand."

"I don't like it, but I don't really have a choice, do I? In my world people don't need to carry weapons."

"I understand, but you've accidentally stepped in the world of the Russian mafia. They play for keeps." He studied her for a few moments. "You must be tired. This has been a rough day. We'll continue this conversation later. I'll show you to the master bedroom, and you can settle in."

"You're paying for this, please take it."

"A gentleman would give it to the lady. I try to be a gentleman." As Anderson picked up her suitcase, he grinned. "Or at least my mom brought me up to be one. This way."

*****

A little over an hour later, Shana walked into the living room and saw Anderson reading. "What are you reading?" Anderson held up the novel, and she read the title, "BirdSong. I've read the reviews, but haven't read it." She tilted her head. "I didn't imagine you to be a reader."

"Why, because I'm a billionaire? I have a feeling there are lots of things about me you don't know," teased Anderson. He placed a bookmark inside, set it down, and stood. "But right now I'm famished. I hope you're hungry."

Shana followed him to the kitchen and searched around. "Where are the boxes? I know you didn't cook this. I'm pretty sure Helen isn't hiding somewhere."

His eyebrows crunched together. "I do cook. Feast your eyes on this." He removed the lid from the skillet. "Chicken piccata with capers and linguine." He opened the refrigerator. "And a salad. After I warm the rolls, dinner is ready."

"Let me do something. How about set the table?"

He held a chair. "Have a seat. I'll take care of it."

"You're used to being waited on. Let me ..."

Anderson put his finger on her lips. "Shh, I want to do this." He grinned. "I wasn't raised being waited on. My parents didn't want spoilt children."

"There are more of you?"

"Yep, a younger brother, Zachery."

"Tell me about him."

He set a salad in front of Shana. "So you want my entire life story, huh?"

"It would be nice, since you know all about me."

"I don't know all about you, but I'll share first. You'll need to divulge more about yourself later." Anderson sat. "Want to bless the food?"

Shana bowed her head and prayed.

"Eat up while I share family history." Anderson took a bite of lettuce and chewed. "It's pretty boring." He stretched his arms with fingers interlocking and cracked his knuckles. "Here it goes. My great-grand-pappy, Klaus, not sure how many greats, came from Germany about 1850, not even sure of the exact date. He came to find his fortune. The rest of his family remained in Germany, but they stayed in touch. He married a Cheyenne girl. There were a lot of issues with this interracial marriage, so he took her to Germany."

"I bet that didn't go over too well. My knowledge of Germany would say they didn't like the marriage either."

"You're probably right. Klaus, his wife, and some of his kids, family lore says he had fifteen, moved back to Texas about 1875. He still owned land here. After a few battles to prove ownership, he began farming it."

"So some of his children remained in Germany?"

"Rumor says about half." Anderson got up and served the main course. "Anyway, to fast forward all of this, his son, Alfonso, is a great-grandfather times three, I think." He held up three fingers and then took a drink of water. "His son was Derek, and then came Gary. Finally, we get to my grandpa, Leon. They all had more children. I'm just giving you the names of the direct relation. The land that goes back to Klaus had oil on it. That's how my family got into the oil business. Leon was a shrewd businessman and was able to enlarge the oil business and made millions. My dad, Michael, turned it into billions. Zachery, remember him?" He grinned.

"Your brother."

"You're tracking. He manages the production part and I take care of the finances and legislative part."

"Where did you go to college?"

"You think I went to college?" he teased. After she nodded he continued, "MIT."

"But isn't that an engineering school? You're in finance."

"My BS is in petroleum engineering with a minor in environment. I have a master's in finance. They both come in handy with what I do."

"No PhD?"

"That would require additional school." He laughed. "Ready for dessert?"

"After all of this, dessert?"

"Don't get your hopes up for one of Helen's. It's only raspberry ice. I didn't have time to bake a cake or pie."

"You haven't told me where you learned to cook."

"That's easy. In college. I loved to eat good food and didn't like going out." Anderson paused. "To be honest, I don't like crowds."

"Makes sense." She smiled. "Another reason for not liking dinner parties."

"Exactly. Want to take dessert over to the couch and see if there's anything on TV or a movie?"

"It would be nice to relax and not have to think about anything." Shana glanced around the kitchen. "I'll help clean up."

Anderson raised his hand. "I won't hear of it. Go, relax. This will only take a minute."

It wasn't long after dessert that Shana dozed off.

She's dead tired. Anderson patted her arm. "Shana, go on to bed."

She fluttered her eyelids. "I'm sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about. Go to bed. We have another busy day tomorrow."

*****
During the middle of the night, Anderson woke to shrill, piercing cries. He jumped up and ran to Shana's room and found her crying as sweat poured from her. "Shana, Shana."

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Her body shook. Her bloodshot eyes searched the room. "What are you doing here?"

"Your screams woke me." He sat on the bed.

"You'd better leave."

"You need to trust me."








*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of chicken piccata. It's one of my favorite Italian dishes. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion. This post is longer than my usual posts, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it shorter. Again, thank you for taking time to read and review.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.