Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 22, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The killer's horrid memories resurfaces.

A chapter in the book Bittersweet Revenge

Turning Point

by Mistydawn

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Everything between the ~~~ is flashbacks Everything between ---- is happening now.

Since Judy didn't tell him anything useful, Joe decides to try Max. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to talk to all three Webbs at once. Hopefully, someone will give me something. At this point, I'll be happy with anything they tell me. Joe sees a bunch of kids playing in the park when he drives by. I need to restore peace in this community for their sake. 

A child looks up and waves. The others follow suit.

Smiling Joe waves back. They won't end up in a killer's hands as long as I can help it.  Hearing his phone ring, Joe puts in on speaker.

"What's up, Captain?"

"There's been another stabbing on Miller Road; I need you over there right away."

"Another one already, doesn't the killer ever sleep?"

"It doesn't seem like it."

"Tell Jerry I'll be there in ten." Flipping on his overheads, he speeds down the road.

***
 Leaning back in her recliner, the killer gazes out her large picture window. That was one heck of a meeting and one hell of a dream. She smiles, taking a small sip of the steamy coffee. She dreamt their lovemaking was soft, sensual, feeding a desire from deep within, the way it was with Jerad. If only it could be. Looking into the clear blue sky, she starts thinking about her beloved.

Jerad wined and dined me, bought me fancy things, took me to exotic places. I felt like a princess.  

"I promise not to hurt you the way the others did," he'd reassure when she grew distant. Jerad held me close when my horrid memories returned. She feels his arms wrap around her; his cologne drifting through the air. You gave me hope, courage, taught me how to love again.

She suddenly remembers that horrific night he was taken away.

~~~

She and Jerad are walking arm in arm enjoying their moonlight stroll. The scent of spring flowers whisps through the breeze, increasing the romantic feel. Hundreds of stars are shining above, adding to the magical ambiance. 

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Jerad," she says, gazing into his eyes.

"No darling, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me." He brushes his lips against hers. "I don't want to spend another moment without you." Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out a small box then drops to one knee. "Will you marry me?"

Her eyes tear up. "I ...."

A group of thugs runs towards them with guns in hand.

"How sweet, too bad you won't be around to hear her answer." The man pulls the trigger. Jerad crumbles to the ground.

"No," she screams, collapsing on top of him. "Please don't leave me, Jerad, please don't leave." She bawls.

Two large arms pull her away. "You're coming with us." The gunman drags her to the car.

"Let me go, let me go," she screams, trying to fight off her attacker. 

"We should get a lot of money for you," he says, tossing her in his trunk.

When he realizes he can't get any money for her, he and his buddies use her for sexual pleasures instead.

"Might as well get some use out of you," the goon says, securing her to the bed.

Please let me live, oh, please let me live. I promise to take care of all the predators if you do, she silently prays.

~~~

I took care of every last one of them bastards like I'm going to do these guys.

Taking out a piece of paper, she scans through the names. It looks like Walter is next. She smiles, thinking about what she's going to do. Unlike the others, he got off by watching the girls perform degrading acts on each other. "I have special plans for you. When I'm done, everyone will know what a twisted pervert you truly are." She laughs.

***

Joe pulls up to a rundown colonial on the outskirts of town. This firetrap should've been condemned years ago. He sees a dozen just like it when he looks around. The entire area should be destroyed, he concludes, climbing out of his car. 

Joe sees officers trying to control the onlookers while forensics is dodging around, trying to get inside. "You need to get this crowd back," Joe orders, pushing through the mob.

"I'm trying, but they're not listening to me." 

Joe grabs the megaphone out of his hands. "Listen up, anyone who isn't behind the yellow tape in the next five seconds will take a trip to the county jail."

The crowd moves away from the door.

Satisfied, Joe hands the equipment back. "You have to be forceful with them; show them who's in charge."

"Like this? You heard the man; move it, move it, move it!"

"That's much better." Joe smiles, patting him on the back. 

Joe sees boarded windows, dirt embedded carpet and large holes in the walls when he steps through the door. Looking up, he notices the roof is caving in. It looks worse on the inside.

Jerry walks towards him. "Hey, Boss."

"What can you tell me, Jerr?"

"Our victim is Carlos Gomez. He's forty-two, has known ties with the drug cartel and possibly the mafia. He has several drug possession charges and he's on the registry for forcible rape."

"Is the signature the same?"

"He only has twenty stab wounds and no blunt force trauma to the head. This murder seems frenzied, unplanned unlike the other," Jerry finishes, walking towards their victim.

Joe sees the body in front of the mattress; his pants and underwear are past his knees.

"The only reason why pants are down that far is when someone is dressing, getting busy, or on the commode."

"Maybe he tries to get busy, but she didn't want it so she stabs him, and flees?" Jerry points to crumpled linen at the end of the bed.

"That's possible, considering his history. Or maybe our victim's girlfriend catches him cheating pulls him off her and stabs him. His mistress grabs her stuff and runs."

"That'd explain why he doesn't have any defense wounds. Kirk, can you come here a minute, please?" 

 "Yes, detective?"

"I want this mattress and bedding analyzed for fluids."

"I'll have someone get right on it, Sir."

"See if you can get DNA off his junk, too," Joe adds.

"Yes, Sir."

Joe turns towards the door. "Have all available officers canvas the neighborhood."

"Yes, Sir." The officers race out the door.

"Who called it in?"

"It was an anonymous tip, Boss, but ...."

Jeff walks towards them. "Detectives, the 911 call came from a payphone down the road, we're taking prints now. We're also looking at surveillance cameras around the area." He's been with the department for over twenty years and is the most utilized analyst on their force.

"I found the murder weapon in the back room." Kirk holds up a bloody knife.

"It's Benchmark's 14201 conspiracy knife. It's a favorite with sportsmen because of its mono lock system."

"Mono what?" Jerry questions, scratching his head.

"Mono lock system, see how its handle serves as a lock? That makes it more durable than other knives on the market. I'll find out who sells these and let you know."

"It looks like you've got everything under control. So I'll head to the hospital."

"See you at the station, Boss."

Kirk notices keys lying in the corner when he steps into the room. How did they slip out? Scooping them up, he tosses them in his pocket.

***

Jimmy is sitting at Lou's kitchen table in excruciating pain. A half-empty bottle in front of him. I might need something stronger than whiskey. He tips the bottle to his mouth. 

"I really think you should go to the hospital," Lou says, scanning the severity of his wounds.

"I can't afford that shit. Besides, how am I going to explain this to the doctor?" He points to his arm, then his stomach.

"You were mugged?"

"The cops will snoop around; ask a bunch of questions."

"How did you get tangled up with her anyhow?" Lou asks. Pouring peroxide on a rag, he dabs the wounds.

"I wanted to take care of Carlos' killer, a payback for what she did. Ouch, careful there, Lou." He winces from the pain.

"How does the girl who ran into me fit into all of this?"

"She's the bitch who sliced me." He slams his fist on the table, causing him more pain. "Damn cunt," he says, through gritted teeth.

"That tiny girl did this to you?" He chuckles.

"She's tougher than she looks, Lou." He polishes off the bottle.

"Our ferocious leader is beaten up by a little girl." He laughs.

"Just fix my damn arm already, will you." He sneers. 

"Whatever you say, you savage beast you." Having a sobering thought he stops. "Don't you think you should tell the police what happened? You know, stop the chaos before it begins."

"So they can pin his death on me, the way they do everything else?"

"I see your point. You're not going to let her get away with it, are you?"

"Oh no, that bitch is going to find out real soon that she's messing with the wrong man."

***

She sees Walter frantically searching his garage when she pulls into the drive. She then notices cars lined up on either side of the yard. You're about to take a permanent vacation from this.  "Hey, Walter, I'm wondering if you can look at my car, see why it's overheating," she says, walking towards him.

Walter glances up. "I'm so booked up, it'll be at least a week before I can look at it." Scooping up a wrench he darts across the room.

"You just gotta help me." She grabs his arm as he races by.

"I don't gotta do nothing, lady." He pulls his extremity away.

"You don't understand, my mom is in the hospital, and I have to go see her before it's too late," she cries. Taking a tissue from her pocket, she blows her nose. "Please mister, please fix my car," she begs.

He pictures his loving mother. He then recalls her wanting him close in her final days. "It's for your mama, huh?"

"Her doctor isn't sure how much time she has left." She cries harder.

"Stop your damn blubbering and I'll take a look."

I should get an award for that performance. "Thank you so much." Picking up a crowbar, she hides it behind her.

"What did you say it's doing again?" Walter asks, scanning the engine.

In one swift movement, she slams the crowbar into the back of his skull.


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.